Thread: Cavity wax, do not overlook this!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Cavity wax, do not overlook this!

After I parked the car outside on a hot, dry day, it rained during the following night. Next day it was dry and sunny outside, and I drove the dry car into the garage. To my surprise, the dry car started dripping underneath, and puddles formed. Further examination brought this to light:

The area forward of the windshield, where the cabin air goes to the inside, is drained into internal cavities. The water does not simply exit into the wheel well, but though an opening leading into an inside cavity. The water passes quite a distance and exits the cavity under the car.
    The following pictures show where the draining water enters the cavities, and where it finally comes out. The black plastic covering was taken off during examination, and the pictures taken without the covering. Note the puddles.
    I wonder if this is might be planned obsolecence...

We should not forget to include that area when waxing the cavities!

This area can be accessed through the holes on either side, just forward of the hood (motor compartment) hinges. You can see that hole on the bottom right of the first photo.

Btw: It is almost always better to do the waxing yourself, rather than letting "experts" do it for you. That way, you know what is done and how it is done! There are plenty of good products easily available.

Name:  drivers side drain hole.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  passenger drain hole.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  Driver side water exit.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  passg side water exit.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  Scanned Document.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  38.9 KB

Last edited by foama; 07-30-2017 at 08:14 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (08-21-2017),Eggman (07-31-2017),WhiteMirage (09-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    All cars do this. Its just a matter of if that cavity holds water bad things will happen eventually. I'm looking at you Geo Metros! Other cars have this area coated and will likely never see issues in their lifespan. Coating them in oil or wax is still a great idea though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The bottom area where the water comes out, collects dirt easily. See the holes on the bottom. That dirt becomes mud and can stay moist for a long time.
    Before I undercoated and painted it inside and out, I had to clear out loads of mud.

Last edited by foama; 07-29-2017 at 05:25 PM.