Thread: Engine fails to ignite during cranking - Mirage 3

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Engine fails to ignite during cranking - Mirage 3

A day ago the car was moved about 10 yards with no problems. Next day the engine failed to fire up during several starting attempts. The engine turned but no ignition. Checking the fuses, there is power on fuse 3 which is intact. No OBD Diagnostic trouble codes were stored. No unusual dashboard indications. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Simon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    A day ago the car was moved about 10 yards with no problems. Next day the engine failed to fire up during several starting attempts. The engine turned but no ignition. Checking the fuses, there is power on fuse 3 which is intact. No OBD Diagnostic trouble codes were stored. No unusual dashboard indications. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Simon
    It's flooded, push the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it there while cranking until the car starts. This has been reported a few times when the car was only started for a few seconds then shut off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

BeanSproutExpress (02-03-2018)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Further news. I monitored the OBD codes while cranking and the engine showed signs of ignition. After 3 attempts the engine showed an increasing desire to keep going. After it fired consistently I took the car out to prove it wasn't a fuel blockage- it accelerated very well. So the moral of the story is don't let the engine run cold for less than a a minute I guess!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Further news. I monitored the OBD codes while cranking and the engine showed signs of ignition. After 3 attempts the engine showed an increasing desire to keep going. After it fired consistently I took the car out to prove it wasn't a fuel blockage- it accelerated very well. So the moral of the story is don't let the engine run cold for less than a a minute I guess!
    There was recall here in the US to reprogram the ECU during cold starts for over-rich fuel ratios. Might be worth checking with the local Mitsubishi dealer there if it's available in the U.K. Looks like your closest dealer is Brighton Mitsubishi
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-31-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: cleaned up my syntax

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Never heard of a FI car flooding. Crazy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Never heard of a FI car flooding. Crazy
    Strange for sure but it merits a mention on pages 5-18 & 5-37 of the owner's manual.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-31-2017),SoundAdvice (07-31-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    There was recall here in the US to reprogram the ECU during cold starts for over-rich fuel ratios. Might be worth checking with the local Mitsubishi dealer there if it's available in the U.K. Looks like your closest dealer is Brighton Mitsubishi
    This. Exactly this.

These cars are known to do this, and there have been a few other reports of it here.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Vehicle ran normally today. Almost certainly was a fuel problem triggered by the 20 second run when cold. Thanks for your interest guys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Happened to me this week. Thanks inuvik for pointing to the pages in the manual. This fixed it! Half accelerator press got a few hiccups. Full accelerator press got ignition. Agreed, I wouldn't have guessed that EFI could flood an engine.

I was almost ready to call the tow truck, then found this post. This forum saved me again! Thanks all for contributing to an awesome forum!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanSproutExpress For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-03-2018),Eggman (02-03-2018),Pryme (02-07-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Hey mate, you may want to look up this thread, because it simultaneaously lowers fuel consumption and reduces the overdone fuel enrichment when cold:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ment-when-cold