Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Engine fails to ignite during cranking - Mirage 3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Horsham
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Engine fails to ignite during cranking - Mirage 3

    A day ago the car was moved about 10 yards with no problems. Next day the engine failed to fire up during several starting attempts. The engine turned but no ignition. Checking the fuses, there is power on fuse 3 which is intact. No OBD Diagnostic trouble codes were stored. No unusual dashboard indications. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Simon



  2. #2
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks
    1,311
    Thanked 562 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    A day ago the car was moved about 10 yards with no problems. Next day the engine failed to fire up during several starting attempts. The engine turned but no ignition. Checking the fuses, there is power on fuse 3 which is intact. No OBD Diagnostic trouble codes were stored. No unusual dashboard indications. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Simon
    It's flooded, push the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it there while cranking until the car starts. This has been reported a few times when the car was only started for a few seconds then shut off.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Horsham
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Further news. I monitored the OBD codes while cranking and the engine showed signs of ignition. After 3 attempts the engine showed an increasing desire to keep going. After it fired consistently I took the car out to prove it wasn't a fuel blockage- it accelerated very well. So the moral of the story is don't let the engine run cold for less than a a minute I guess!

  4. #4
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks
    1,311
    Thanked 562 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Further news. I monitored the OBD codes while cranking and the engine showed signs of ignition. After 3 attempts the engine showed an increasing desire to keep going. After it fired consistently I took the car out to prove it wasn't a fuel blockage- it accelerated very well. So the moral of the story is don't let the engine run cold for less than a a minute I guess!
    There was recall here in the US to reprogram the ECU during cold starts for over-rich fuel ratios. Might be worth checking with the local Mitsubishi dealer there if it's available in the U.K. Looks like your closest dealer is Brighton Mitsubishi
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-31-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: cleaned up my syntax

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 103 Times in 65 Posts
    Never heard of a FI car flooding. Crazy

  6. #6
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks
    1,311
    Thanked 562 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Never heard of a FI car flooding. Crazy
    Strange for sure but it merits a mention on pages 5-18 & 5-37 of the owner's manual.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (07-31-2017),SoundAdvice (07-31-2017)

  8. #7
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,190
    Thanks
    339
    Thanked 583 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    There was recall here in the US to reprogram the ECU during cold starts for over-rich fuel ratios. Might be worth checking with the local Mitsubishi dealer there if it's available in the U.K. Looks like your closest dealer is Brighton Mitsubishi
    This. Exactly this.

    These cars are known to do this, and there have been a few other reports of it here.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Horsham
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Vehicle ran normally today. Almost certainly was a fuel problem triggered by the 20 second run when cold. Thanks for your interest guys.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •