Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to disable ABS

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've disabled it in my car and thank god I was able. Was gonna sell it otherwise. The abs fuse disables other primary functions when pulled so you can run the car without it but by unplugging the front driver and passenger side wheel speed sensors it will dissable traction control and abs. The plugs are located under the hood along each fender. Small hands help because they're kinda crammed in there but if you follow the wire from the wheel up behind the fenders you'll find the plugs. I've had mine disabled for more than a year now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm just curious... What warning lights are lit on your dash with the wheel speed sensors disconnected?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just abs and traction control lights. Everything else is normal. I was just surprised I didn't have to hook it back up for inspection. Also something to note is if you do have to hook it back up it does take about 100-200 feet for the computer to register that it's all functional and the warning lights to go back out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Necro Update

Well, 3 of my Wheel speed sensors have been unresponsive for about a year now. I'm thinking of leaving them that way. Unfortunately, this also disables cruise control, which I'd gone to significant trouble to enable. I guess we can't have everything ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Well, 3 of my Wheel speed sensors have been unresponsive for about a year now. I'm thinking of leaving them that way. Unfortunately, this also disables cruise control, which I'd gone to significant trouble to enable. I guess we can't have everything ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
    I didn't have any issues with that on mine. My car is a 2015 and cruise control works as it always has. I would try clearing any codes it has and having all the sensors unplugged. It might be with the sensors connected and an error code it disables it but disconnected the computer my not receive that particular code? Most systems on these cars aren't nearly as complex as other makes and models so this might be a solution. If it's a newer model they may have made a software or hardware change to correct this possible oversight.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    On snow, maybe I can see the logic of the origins of this thread. Because when I lived up yonder in the snow, my 7,130 pound truck, when it hit ABS in snowy surfaces, it felt like it sped up! I'm certain all 4 locked wheels would have stopped quicker.

But, maybe the ABS technology on the 2000 model just wasn't as good as they are now. I also know that when the ABS kicked in (I would force the ABS to activate occasionally so as to be familiar with what to expect) and I let it do it's thing, that I could stop quicker if I let off the brakes and then reactivated the brakes just short of enough pedal force to activate the ABS. In summary, that trucks ABS system was / is horribly ineffective on snow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    On snow, maybe I can see the logic of the origins of this thread. Because when I lived up yonder in the snow, my 7,130 pound truck, when it hit ABS in snowy surfaces, it felt like it sped up! I'm certain all 4 locked wheels would have stopped quicker.

But, maybe the ABS technology on the 2000 model just wasn't as good as they are now. I also know that when the ABS kicked in (I would force the ABS to activate occasionally so as to be familiar with what to expect) and I let it do it's thing, that I could stop quicker if I let off the brakes and then reactivated the brakes just short of enough pedal force to activate the ABS. In summary, that trucks ABS system was / is horribly ineffective on snow.
    ABS is not designed to make you stop faster, its designed to allow you to maintain control of your vehicle i.e steer while stopping.

For example say all 4 wheels are on snow and have locked up as you desired. Now lets say all the sudden one side of the vehicle is on clear good dry pavement for whatever reason.(such as a salt patch). your car with 4 locked up wheels will spin out as one side with wonderful traction pulls the car into a spin.
    Last edited by mohammad; 06-14-2022 at 03:38 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

klroger (06-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    mohammad is right, ABS keeps the tires turning so you can steer... You can't steer if the tires aren't turning, they're just skis. Stopping distance may be more, but you have some control...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    That was already stated, and a given in the very first post. Subsequently, this was about stopping distance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I get it....but who really has their abs kick in often enough to complain about it? I've had it kick in a few times and take longer than normal to stop.

If the abs kicked in on my car every time it rained(which has been never) I'd think there's a problem with the car. There's no other logical explanation.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)