Thread: Newbie with lots of questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Newbie with lots of questions

Hello I'm Eric and I found out about this community from Facebook and I had tested out a 2017 Mirage ES in blue and just want to know what you all think of the car. I seen all the bashing reviews on it and I'm now wanting real opinions from actual owners. I was impressed with it from the get go and it's on my top list for a potential replacement for a 2013 Smart for two Pure. How well do they go, are they costly to maintain, and of course mileage and how do these motors do. On my test drive I found the speed adequate for the highway and in town. Anyone ever taken a day trip in them. Any comments I welcome.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gstreetcomic View Post
    Hello I'm Eric and I found out about this community from Facebook and I had tested out a 2017 Mirage ES in blue and just want to know what you all think of the car. I seen all the bashing reviews on it and I'm now wanting real opinions from actual owners. I was impressed with it from the get go and it's on my top list for a potential replacement for a 2013 Smart for two Pure. How well do they go, are they costly to maintain, and of course mileage and how do these motors do. On my test drive I found the speed adequate for the highway and in town. Anyone ever taken a day trip in them. Any comments I welcome.
    Welcome to the forum! There is lots of good information on here and the Mirage has been for most owners extremely reliable and efficient. Some previous complaints were soft suspensions in the 2014-2015's but that has been addressed in the 2017 model. Most 5 speed owners get better mileage than the EPA estimates. If you choose to get a Mirage with a CVT I would strongly encourage you to make sure you get a model with cruise control because of the way Mitsubishi has programmed the CVT it seeks and maintains the best overdrive ratios while in cruise control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The Smart used a version of the same motor used in the Smart and got better fuel economy with more interior room. I think you will like the Mirage. Have you tried driving one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The Smart used a version of the same motor used in the Smart and got better fuel economy with more interior room. I think you will like the Mirage. Have you tried driving one?
    I did test drive one two weeks ago and really liked it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did test drive one two weeks ago and really liked it.
    Hey gstreetcomic sorry for not responding with a more comprehensive reply. I can gush on and on but as I'm away from a proper keyboard I'm limited in my response.

If there's a particular concern you have we can try to focus on that.

In the meantime keep in mind that the Mirage is a fine city car that gets great fuel economy and is not too shabby on a highway. Keep that purpose in mind as you consider your options as sometimes the Mirage can only do so much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did not intend to repeat Smart but wanted to say Mirage instead. Sometimes typing on a phone drives me nuts.

I think you know what I meant...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 14 model, ES with cvt. Happy with it for the most part. I bought mine wrecked, through a guy that buys them at insurance auctions.
    The only problem I've had is a starter grind issue, that only seems to affect the 14's. Being a salvaged car, I have no warranty, so will be fixing it myself. The 3 cyl is a little underpowered when you are blasting the ac, and trying to climb a hill at the same time. I tend to just kill the ac at those times and restart it when I level out. No big deal. I've been averaging around 45 mpg over the summer. I've gotten as high as 58, on the dash, not running the ac. "Your mileage of course may vary". I come from a hoard of Geo Metros, (which I still own most of) and consider the Mirage a dream come true, compared to them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-06-2017),MetroMPG (08-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had mine for 3 years with zero problems, and the only maintenance I've needed to do has been oil changes, air filter changes, and tire rotations. I've driven across North America with no problems too. I'm averaging ~43 mpg since I bought the car (new).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-06-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Hi Eric! I use the Mirage (Space Star in Europe) mainly for very long distance highway driving (at least several hours, often entire day), but also for a shorter trip now and then. If you feel comfortable in the stock seats and the sticky steering doesn't hurt your wrists, the Mirage is a good and extremely reliable car that doesn't cost much in the long run.
    Since some report the depreciation in the USA is high, I would suggest looking for one a couple of years old. That way the previous owner pays for depreciation, and you get a practically new car unbeatably cheap. There are no real typical defects or problems worth mentioning with these and nothing much to look out for, but a few have rear axles way out of specs, and that's usually easily recognisable by uneven, rapid tyre wear. There is some critisism about soft suspension and leaning in curves, but I take the turns fast (real fast!) and always have the car fully under control. The soft suspension keeps the bumps from hurting my back, a real bonus. Ever driven a Metro? If you liked that, this car is for you!

Look at the threads in this forum and you get a pretty good picture.
    Last edited by foama; 08-06-2017 at 10:13 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-06-2017),Eggman (08-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I bought my '15 5-speed ES brand new in December of 2014. I now have 70,000 miles on it, and it has given me no trouble. All it has asked of me is gas, oil changes, brake pads, and tires. That's it.

Mirages are a bit noisy, not terribly fast, and don't handle particularly well. But they have a great set of standard features, get absurdly good mileage, have a great warranty, never break down, are intelligently designed, well-built, and are quite inexpensive. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

I don't regret buying mine for a second. I have encouraged FIVE friends and coworkers to buy Mirages, and they are all as happy with them as I am.

Just be sure you are okay with a car that is pretty much the modern definition of an "econobox". Expect anything more from a Mirage and it might let you down.