Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 year since bought 2014 CVT ..... a review

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Smile 1 year since bought 2014 CVT ..... a review

Hey all, I bought my 2014 base model CVT for (USD) $7999.00 last August with 20,500 miles. It was my commuter car for 6 months and then wife and now daughter in college drives it. I have had one issue and Mits dealer took care of it and lent me a outlander sport for a week until new starter came in. The starter would grind after it was running for awhile. Other than that, (no big deal with a bumper to bumper warranty ) .... the car now has 38k miles on it and has been a tremendous reliable car. Drives super nice and gets about 43-46 MPG with over 50 MPG at times when i really would work the mileage. Daughter really loves the car and will be hard to get her out of it when she goes back to college. My wife drove it for a spell and really liked it a lot. She is driving a 2000 VW Bug with 240k miles on it now.(a lot of cost to maintain that one LOL) Parents bought the Bug brand new and gave to us 5 years ago.

Put snow tires on the Mirage last winter and it thought it was a 4 wheel drive LOL ... handled really good as my wife drove it most of the time over the winter. When the 2000 beadle finally bites the dust, we will probably get my wife a Outlander Sport or another Mirage. Probably will go with the Outlander sport just for comfort reasons and is a very nice suv for Minnesota and want one nice bigger vehicle in the family. For me, will probably give my Mirage to my daughter and get another Mirage for me ... will wait for the 18's to come out and try to steal a 2017 from a dealer or a good used one with cruise control this time. Very happy Mirage owner and hard to beat the low cost!! very good buy and is economic. The low payment of $138.00 per month did not break the bank!! Car is adequate comfort, adequate power and just cheap to drive around. very dependable! Will be paying off the Mirage this week and saving for the next car purchase(Mirage / Outlander Sport) Also, Don Robinson's Mitsubishi dealer in St. Cloud, MN ---TOP NOTCH!! Fantastic to work with.

p.s. Board here has been a great resource ... thanks all

Bob

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cretbo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bolo (10-13-2017),Cobrajet (08-06-2017),Daox (08-07-2017),Eggman (08-06-2017),Fummins (08-10-2017),inuvik (08-06-2017),Marklovski (10-13-2017),MetroMPG (08-07-2017),Ranny (08-06-2017),Rockabilly Manta (06-26-2019),Top_Fuel (08-06-2017),Wayne (09-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great write-up! My '15 has over 70,000, and I could not agree with your assessment more. These are great little cars.

Cretbo, thanks for the write-up.

Will be paying off the Mirage this week
    Congrats!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Congrats!! My Mirage with more than 20K kms has no problem. All parts are still oem except of course the filters...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloud5 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-13-2017),MetroMPG (10-16-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice write up. I'm also considering an Outlander Sport, if I can't get my hands on an EVO
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks

3 years (almost) since i bought 2014 CVT MIrage

Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    Hey all, I bought my 2014 base model CVT for (USD) $7999.00 last August with 20,500 miles. It was my commuter car for 6 months and then wife and now daughter in college drives it. I have had one issue and Mits dealer took care of it and lent me a outlander sport for a week until new starter came in. The starter would grind after it was running for awhile. Other than that, (no big deal with a bumper to bumper warranty ) .... the car now has 38k miles on it and has been a tremendous reliable car. Drives super nice and gets about 43-46 MPG with over 50 MPG at times when i really would work the mileage. Daughter really loves the car and will be hard to get her out of it when she goes back to college. My wife drove it for a spell and really liked it a lot. She is driving a 2000 VW Bug with 240k miles on it now.(a lot of cost to maintain that one LOL) Parents bought the Bug brand new and gave to us 5 years ago.

Put snow tires on the Mirage last winter and it thought it was a 4 wheel drive LOL ... handled really good as my wife drove it most of the time over the winter. When the 2000 beadle finally bites the dust, we will probably get my wife a Outlander Sport or another Mirage. Probably will go with the Outlander sport just for comfort reasons and is a very nice suv for Minnesota and want one nice bigger vehicle in the family. For me, will probably give my Mirage to my daughter and get another Mirage for me ... will wait for the 18's to come out and try to steal a 2017 from a dealer or a good used one with cruise control this time. Very happy Mirage owner and hard to beat the low cost!! very good buy and is economic. The low payment of $138.00 per month did not break the bank!! Car is adequate comfort, adequate power and just cheap to drive around. very dependable! Will be paying off the Mirage this week and saving for the next car purchase(Mirage / Outlander Sport) Also, Don Robinson's Mitsubishi dealer in St. Cloud, MN ---TOP NOTCH!! Fantastic to work with.

p.s. Board here has been a great resource ... thanks all

Bob

Well, this car now has 81,000 miles on it. My daughter hit a deer last spring and they totaled the car but had the body shop fix the car. It looks very nice and still has a pretty good new car look to it. My daughter who just graduated college has driven it for the last two years. We just put breaks on it and a new battery and tires; also a transmission fluid change at 62k miles was performed. I now drive the car as my daughter nannies a family and they gave her a car to drive till the fall. have noticed the gas mileage is down some as am only averaging around 40-42 MPG. My daughter put new tires on it and they are a tad wider than the stock Enslaves. Will be checking air pressure this week and will set them a little higher and see what happens. Cannot remember if we ever changed spark plugs yet either so that will also be on my list to do. The car drives straight and can only imagine how it was driven by a college gal?? The CVT tranny does seem a shade less responsive then i remember but who's to say its not just me as it does seem louder. The only issue i can think of last winter that a few times my daughter called as it wouldn't start. Nothing? then 10 minutes later it would start right up?? Happened about 3-4 times over the winter but hasn't happened since. So that has my a little concerned as it seemed like it had no juice and then it has full juice to start. Every time i went over the basics with her, stuff like make sure its in park and jiggle the lever and make sure everything is turned off ect.... other than that .... the car has been super reliable and very economical.
    Side note on hitting the deer .... My daughter did a number on the hood and both front quarter panels but no airbag went off and she was perfectly alright and unharmed. it was a big doe at about 50-55 MPH ran right out in front of her at night. Will be driving it to work till fall about 75 miles a day so will see how it performs. So far after 2 weeks it has been a big gas saver that's for sure!! Forgot how nice it is to not throw money away on gas even if it is only 2.47 per gallon right now ... Amazing how you easily can forget the savings and money saved commuting in these little cars. Still drives nice with good heat and cold A/C .... been an outstanding buy so far!!

Bob

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cretbo For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-24-2019),MetroMPG (06-24-2019),Top_Fuel (06-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Cannot remember if we ever changed spark plugs yet either so that will also be on my list to do.
    The manual says to do the spark plugs at 105,000 miles, so you don't need to hurry. I did mine at about 95,000, and they didn't need to be changed at all.

Glad to hear the car is still working out for you and your family!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Great report, thanks for the update!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

So far after 2 weeks it has been a big gas saver that's for sure!! Forgot how nice it is to not throw money away on gas even if it is only 2.47 per gallon right now ... Amazing how you easily can forget the savings and money saved commuting in these little cars.
    What vehicle is it replacing as your commuter?

PS: thanks for the update!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Side note on hitting the deer .... My daughter did a number on the hood and both front quarter panels but no airbag went off and she was perfectly alright and unharmed. it was a big doe at about 50-55 MPH ran right out in front of her at night. Will be driving it to work till fall about 75 miles a day so will see how it performs. So far after 2 weeks it has been a big gas saver that's for sure!! Forgot how nice it is to not throw money away on gas even if it is only 2.47 per gallon right now ... Amazing how you easily can forget the savings and money saved commuting in these little cars. Still drives nice with good heat and cold A/C .... been an outstanding buy so far!!

Bob
    Nice update on your Mirage! I bought a Mirage that my daughter (& son-in-law) can borrow when they visit the states. Since they live on the other side of the Atlantic, that doesn't happen often enough. It's primarily my daily driver. They are wonderful little car for that!

I will second what Cobrajet has said about plugs. Iridium spark plugs can easily go 100,000+ miles. Unless you are having an issue, I wouldn't bother changing them early. Being old school, I had to research all that myself, too.

It was nice to hear that you were able to salvage your Mirage after hitting a deer. That's a common issue in my area. How did that play out with your insurance? Did you have to buy the car back from your insurance company? Did they pay you a lump some for the loss, & you repaired it cheaper? Did you end up with a salvage title or is it clear?

I am always interested in how those things play out. Please share whatever you feel comfortable with. Thanks!