Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! weird chassis oscillation - 2017 Mirage test drive at dealer

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

HELP! weird chassis oscillation - 2017 Mirage test drive at dealer

Hey Guys,

I am considering buying a brand new 2017 Mirage ES 5-speed.

I just finished a test drive at the local dealer. Around town the car was fine. I took it out on the interstate and I noticed a definite issue. At 60+ MPH the car had a weird oscillation. I was going straight down the highway but the car had a mild left / right sway or oscillation. It's as if someone was gently pushing it left and right. The faster I went the more pronounced it became. At 80 MPH I decided to slow down bc it felt disconcerting.

The salesman agreed with my assessment but said that he has not sold many Mirages so he could not offer an educated opinion.

Maybe described another way, it's as if it was getting hit by a moderate crosswind on the left of the car then immediately getting hit by another crosswind on the right side of the car. It required constant (but VERY minor) steering correction. If any of you have ever been on a train (AMTRAK at least) it's the same oscillation.

To be clear it was very minor, but annoying. I tried all 5 lanes on the interstate on each side and in both directions but the oscillation persisted. Only 23 miles on the car, Tire pressure checked ok, no wind today, drove same highway in other vehicles w no issue.

I've read professional highway / interstate reviews of the Mirage that sort-of touch on this dynamic...I think one pro review described it as "all four wheels are doing something completely different and not working together cohesively".
    I think I could almost describe it as that (?)

Can anyone offer an opinion? Do any of your cars exhibit this dynamic? I poked around on this forum but could not find much. I did notice the problem with the rear torsion bar causing the rear wheel alignment to be off...but the symptoms did not seem the same.

I really like this car but that dynamic could be a deal breaker.

Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Was the road rutted? I've had this same symptom on rutted roads, kinda like bump steer.

I haven't experienced this and feel my Mirage is fairly stable at highway speeds.

Sorry you had this experience and that I can't offer much else to look at. Try again, and here's hoping things go better this time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Was the road rutted? I've had this same symptom on rutted roads, kinda like bump steer.

I haven't experienced this and feel my Mirage is fairly stable at highway speeds.

Sorry you had this experience and that I can't offer much else to look at. Try again, and here's hoping things go better this time.
    That would be the only advice I would give too, try another test drive with a different Mirage and see if it repeats

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Sounds very strange. Nothing typical. Most of my driving is fast on highways, never had anything like that.
    I would expect something like that if it were grossly overloaded in the rear.

Maybe a terrible alignment issue? You may want to test drive a different one.
    Last edited by foama; 08-07-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Could it be a severe case of rear-end misalignment? Known problem on the Mirage, and well-documented here.

Make them find you another one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Could it be a severe case of rear-end misalignment?
    I'm wondering the same thing. If he test drives a different Mirage on the same roads and it doesn't exhibit similar behavior, then I would also suspect an alignment problem.

HERE is a discussion from 3 years ago where some were discussing off-center steering wheels and wandering steering. This was back before anyone understood the rear axle problem.

Irrespective of which Mirage you buy, I would advise you to have the alignment verified before you sign a purchase order. Not only are the rear axles a potential problem, but many Mirages come out of the factory with the front end not aligned properly. The good news is that this problem can be corrected and this is one of the only complaints most people have had with their cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would not say that my Mirage oscillates, but it does require more attention than other cars to keep it in the lane on the highway. It requires frequent small corrections. Thanks to this forum, I did have the alignment checked prior to purchase, and it within spec. I've had the car for a year and a half and have become accustomed to the highway feel. Many journalists have commented about a dead spot on center and having to make corrections while driving straight ahead. The car has its quirks, but it's strangely endearing. Sounds like you want to like the car. I concur with other commenters who have suggested trying another Mirage.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    The mirage/Space Star its not a stable car.. To much body roll, soft springs and too thin, the car its too light for its width . The steering is vague. I tested the car with 4 in it... It was wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    The mirage/Space Star its not a stable car.. To much body roll, soft springs and too thin, the car its too light for its width . The steering is vague. I tested the car with 4 in it... It was wrong.
    All opinion and subjective.

I have a 17 and find the car perfectly stable and body roll and everything is acceptable for what the car is intended to be. I have put on 18k in a year and not an issue to report. The car is everything I expected to be and more.
    (blank signature)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (08-28-2017),daleWV (08-28-2017),Fummins (08-28-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Its my opinion its true, and mine is also a 17 model european spec. Its not for having one that i am not saying what i think its wrong with it. The car has good things also.