Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2017 GT Mirage with poor mpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New 2017 GT Mirage with poor mpg

Hello everyone. Just purchased a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage GT. I've been driving a friend's 2017 G4 Mirage basic trim and was seeing 40ish MPG while traveling 70MPH but I'm only barely gettinf 34mpg. Theirs has approximately 12k miles on it. We both have CVT's

Under the same driving conditions shouldn't I be getting the same mileage? Is this due to engine break-in period? I'm hoping I didn't make a poor decision as the Hatchback version was shown to have superior mpg than the sedan

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Rndeleon1988 and welcome to the forum.

Yes, under the same driving conditions it is reasonable to expect similar fuel economy, but there are many factors that can impact this. I wouldn't expect break-in to cause this, but I suppose it could contribute.

The current production Mirage responds very well to careful driving technique, and it is common to see fuel economy numbers in the upper 40s. Here's a few things to look out for - best of all, they cost nothing.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated. For an example, when I bought my Mirage (See here - Speck) it sat on the lot so long it's tires were low on air. Now, I keep them over-inflated. I, as well as others here, find it improves the ride and handling somewhat. If you do try this, pay attention to the maximum pressure listed on your tire's sidewall.

Also, pay attention to your driving technique, especially a heavy foot on the accelerator. But you probably already knew that.

It's been pointed out here that one thing that is guaranteed to rob fuel economy is the brakes, so leave plenty of room ahead and try to use the brakes sparingly.

The Mirage, like most any car using an internal combustion engine, does best when warmed up. Short trips with cold, thick motor oil takes more fuel to do it's thing. If you are interested, read up on engine block heaters (there goes my 'cost nothing' proposition...) A few owners here use them year-round to improve their fuel economy. I just got one from Amazon and look forward to trying it out.

So there's just a few things to consider - I hope that helps. Take a look at the forum's Fuel Economy Log - found at the top of every page. Many forum members are easily beating the rated numbers. Some others are not that concerned and just drive as they need, enjoying the easy-to-drive, affordable, reliable transportation that the Mirage offers.

There are loads of helpful folks here more than willing to help another owner make the most of their Mirage. Let us know if there's anything else, and I'm sure there will be others who will chime in.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello Rndeleon1988 and welcome to the forum.

Yes, under the same driving conditions it is reasonable to expect similar fuel economy, but there are many factors that can impact this. I wouldn't expect break-in to cause this, but I suppose it could contribute.

The current production Mirage responds very well to careful driving technique, and it is common to see fuel economy numbers in the upper 40s. Here's a few things to look out for - best of all, they cost nothing.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated. For an example, when I bought my Mirage (See here - Speck) it sat on the lot so long it's tires were low on air. Now, I keep them over-inflated. I, as well as others here, find it improves the ride and handling somewhat. If you do try this, pay attention to the maximum pressure listed on your tire's sidewall.

Also, pay attention to your driving technique, especially a heavy foot on the accelerator. But you probably already knew that.

It's been pointed out here that one thing that is guaranteed to rob fuel economy is the brakes, so leave plenty of room ahead and try to use the brakes sparingly.

The Mirage, like most any car using an internal combustion engine, does best when warmed up. Short trips with cold, thick motor oil takes more fuel to do it's thing. If you are interested, read up on engine block heaters (there goes my 'cost nothing' proposition...) A few owners here use them year-round to improve their fuel economy. I just got one from Amazon and look forward to trying it out.

So there's just a few things to consider - I hope that helps. Take a look at the forum's Fuel Economy Log - found at the top of every page. Many forum members are easily beating the rated numbers. Some others are not that concerned and just drive as they need, enjoying the easy-to-drive, affordable, reliable transportation that the Mirage offers.

There are loads of helpful folks here more than willing to help another owner make the most of their Mirage. Let us know if there's anything else, and I'm sure there will be others who will chime in.
    Thanks for the response. I bet my tires have off pressures, I checked my fluid just today and was shocked the dealership sent me home with only the minimum of oil! Oil which I plan to swap out immediately since I dunno what they put in there. But I definitely love the gas savings, my main vehicle was a 2005 ford f150 v8 and he was very thirsty.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have read another member on the forum complain of lower MPG with the GT model..................
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...North-Carolina

The GT also uses 15" wheels compared to the ES model. I noticed a big MPG hit when doing a wheel swap on my 17 ES........

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...on-2017-Mirage

I am not 100% sure, but I think the GT model weighs a little more also. Someone here could probably verify that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

DEANOBRAVO (08-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I have read another member on the forum complain of lower MPG with the GT model..................
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...North-Carolina

The GT also uses 15" wheels compared to the ES model. I noticed a big MPG hit when doing a wheel swap on my 17 ES........

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...on-2017-Mirage

I am not 100% sure, but I think the GT model weighs a little more also. Someone here could probably verify that.
    Increase tire pressure to 42 or 44. Use cruise control whenever possible. The CVT won't shift into maximum overdrive ratio of .55 unless conditions are perfect without cruise being engaged. Also, don't use "auto" for temperature control. If I need to use air conditioning (which living in Texas you need it a lot) I set it to 72 degrees in recirculation mode to reduce compressor usage. With only 78 HP the AC can make a big dent in mileage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

DEANOBRAVO (08-14-2017),poorman1 (08-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've set all tires to 45psi, topped off the oil for now, set AC to 75 and its on recirculation mode AND on the lowest fan speed setting ontop of driving like my grandma is in the car with me (oh and the car is completely empty) but I'm still stuck st 34mpg. I'll test more soon on a much longer trip this coming Monday.

I truly appreciate all the responses. I'm starting to feel some dread over the GT however, wish they mentioned on the papers id be losing mpg for the top of the line model.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rndeleon1988 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    How many miles on your GT? These cars require a definite "break-in period" for the engines. Give it 1500 miles and I bet your mileage will be right up with your friend's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rndeleon1988 View Post
    I'll test more soon on a much longer trip this coming Monday.
    Longer trip? How long? Short five-minute trips will have lower MPGs for sure.

Not sure if you've noticed but your GT has a Temperature Indicator. It is green for low coolant temperature and turns red if it's too hot.

Let us know how your trip goes on Monday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    How many miles on your GT? These cars require a definite "break-in period" for the engines. Give it 1500 miles and I bet your mileage will be right up with your friend's.
    Agreed, my mileage did improve overall after a few thousand miles. Turn your fan speed up, the AC compressor will actually run more on a lower fan speed setting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello again everyone. To answer the above posts

The car is definitely under 1500 miles. Maybe 400 or so, I currently can't check but will update the post when I cann.

And the trip will be 2 hours or so, almost all highway miles.

Also, ok, I'll turn ghe fan speed up. I'll keel everyone posted! Thank you all again!