Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytime Running Lights - What No One Tells You

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Daytime Running Lights - What No One Tells You

I've been wanting these for ages, and not the ones that are incorporated into the fog lights... I wanted stand alone DRL's... They look so good on any car...

Well I was all gun-ho and bought an awesome set of DRL's....

Name:  IMG_0021.jpg
Views: 7550
Size:  89.5 KB

I knew the fuse location for the DRL's so me and my auto electrician didn't think anymore on it....

Until we had to wire them up.... They can't be on all the time, they need to turn off when the headlights are on, and you can't do that with just a fuse....

You will need a Universal DRL controller with fuse, a good heavy duty wired one.....

This will communicate with your cars computer and tell it things are ok, and to leave the DRL's alone...lol... Actually it just tells them when to turn on and off... :-)

Name:  Controller and harness for DRL's.jpg
Views: 5456
Size:  81.1 KB

These are readily available on ebay, and you can buy them in ON/OFF controllers or dimmer controllers... I want ON/OFF.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Fair dinkum! Its all quite simple and you certainly don't need to be ripped off buying any special gizmo-box. It goes like this:

The plus wire going to the DRL-lights comes from "ignition", otherwise said, from the 12V that comes on when the car runs.

The minus "ground" wire of the DRL's goes to the Plus wire of the regular beam of a headlight. Thats all!

How it works:
    Ignition on, and 12V goes to the DRL, the minus connector of the DRL drains to ground via the headlight bulb. Thus the DRL's are on when ignition is on. (And no, the headlight doesn't light up because of that, because the DRL's draw too little current for that to happen.)
    When the normal headlights are turned on, and consequently the DRL should turn off, the minus connector of the DRL's sees plus, and thus no current flows through the DRL's any more. They go out when the headlights come on.
    The above assumes your DRL are of the LED sort as sold nowadays. If they were the regular lightbulb sort, you would better use a diode (your TV repairman has plenty suitable ones) is series with the DRL's. That prevents 12V from the headlights going back to the ignition when you turn the ignition off with regular headlights on. Since LED's are diodes, you don't otherwise need that.
    Last edited by foama; 10-15-2015 at 01:05 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (10-15-2015),HitShane (01-03-2017),laceygirl (10-15-2015),poorman1 (04-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Fair dinkum! Its all quite simple and you certainly don't need to be ripped off buying any special gizmo-box.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just don't understand Laceygirl... I was so happy when I saw that the Mirage didn't have DRLs, and had actual city lights that I could turn on and off at my want. I cannot fathom willingly putting these dreaded power draining, bulb eating disasters into a car on my own coin, but alas, that is why we are all different!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (10-16-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Really? Well funny that Mitsubishi use them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1IH4hQ3mO8
    Last edited by laceygirl; 10-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to laceygirl For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (10-16-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Ah, but I do need to stress, I am using the controller module, so I DON'T have to hook it up to my ignition....

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I had the LED controller functional for just about 4 mos. only. It did not last long. The reason for this might be that the DRL controller works day and night 24/7. It is connected directly to the battery without any switch.

If you want to use the DRL controller, you still have to connect to one of the fuses that comes ON when the engine is switched ON to have a longer DRL controller life.

As a I do not have a spare LED controller, I had to re-wire my LED DRL similar to the method foama described.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (10-18-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks Mitz,

My kill switch is already wired through my ignition, so this is the best way to go.... I might tell my auto electrician about the problem you mentioned and we might be able to come up with a solution....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    where does one buy this weird drl light bar thingy?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone have the details on the OEM DRL kit (MZ331150)? What is included? Where does it get power and control from? Mitsubishi states that it only takes an hour to install, but I'm guessing that like the fog lights, step one is to totally remove the front bumper. I really don't want to run control wires through the firewall.