Thread: Pin hole in rad.

Pin hole in rad.

Just had a car come in that "uses coolant". First thing I checked was the rh side of the rad that isn't protected by the condenser. Attachment 9836 Rock punctured the one tube. Nobody has aftermarket rads in stock locally. Stuck going to the stealership this time:/ Will be ordering a few to have on hand for next time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just had a car come in that "uses coolant". First thing I checked was the rh side of the rad that isn't protected by the condenser. Attachment 9836 Rock punctured the one tube. Nobody has aftermarket rads in stock locally. Stuck going to the stealership this time:/ Will be ordering a few to have on hand for next time.
    Rock Auto has two flavor of radiators in stock:

http://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?car...3a54f99128391e

Plus use their coupon for extra discount!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Rock Auto has two flavor of radiators in stock:

http://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?car...3a54f99128391e

Plus use their coupon for extra discount!
    if they did overnight shipping that'd work. But they need the car back on the road by tomorrow. If it were mine I'd wait but it's not... The stealership has one in stock. I have it pretty much out already. I'll post some pics of how to remove it from the top.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

How to remove radiator. This car is a cvt..
    0. Open drain. drain coolant...
    1. Remove the 4-10mm bolts that hold upper bumper cover to upper rad support.
    2. Remove 4-10mm upper tie bar/rad support bolts. 2 of the bolts are under the corners of bumper cover. lift cover from headlight dowel pins and pull bumper forward to get to the bolts)
    3.Unplug the yellow airbag sensor plugs. One on each corner. Push in on the white tab and pull plug a little til it stops, then push more and it'll come all the way. Using a door panel remover preferable, remove the wire retaining clips from the tie bar. The bar should be free to move out of the way.Attachment 9837
    4.Remove the 2 upper coolant hoses. Pretty straight forward. Squeeze the clamps and move them back towards the engine, twist the hose with your hands and disconnect. Attachment 9838
    5.Remove the 1-10mm bolt from the top lh(drivers) side of the fan. Squeeze the tabs on the top rh side of the rad to release the fan.Attachment 9839
    6. Separate the fan assembly from the side air flow thingy's on both sides of the fan. The drivers side is a little tight to get to. Attachment 9840
    7.Unclip wires on fan assembly and unplug it from the fan motor. Attachment 9841
    8.Pull the rad forward and squeeze the fan up. It is tight but it'll go, just be careful not to break off the wiring connector at the throttle body. Attachment 9843
    9.Remove the 2-10mm bolts that hold the condensor to the rad.Attachment 9842
    10.Remove the 2 push clips that hold the shroud to the rad. (next to the 10mm condensor bolts)
    11.Remove the 2 lower hoses.
    12. Go home drink beer.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-22-2017),daleWV (08-22-2017),Daox (08-23-2017),Eggman (08-23-2017),Johnny Mullet (08-23-2017),mohammad (11-11-2021),Top_Fuel (08-23-2017),wellswebdesign (08-24-2017)

I found another coolant mfg. I used beck arnley but found some pentosin today. I can't find any concentrated stuff though just premixed. The dealer want's double what this stuff cost's.
    Not a good deal for half a jug of water. Attachment 9846 I can't get the pic to rotate on the computer...

Edit, I just realized this coolant was mentioned in a post a year ago.
    Here's the beck stuff Attachment 9847 I like pictures

Last edited by Fummins; 08-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-23-2017)