Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my hands on a Mirage test drive. [Canada]

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Finally got my hands on a Mirage test drive. [Canada]

So I finally got a chance to test out the Mirage... I'm 6'1 so was a bit scared that I wouldn't feel comfortable in one, but I was fine. The car salesman next to me was 6'3 and weighed easily 260 pounds. The car did not feel sluggish at all like I expected it to be. It was peppy on par with a 1998 Corolla I had owned in the past. Suspension was fine. All in all, I had nothing negative to say about the car expect for the interior which seemed a bit bland in terms of features. Compared to the Ford Fiesta I had tried a few weeks earlier, it is night and day... But the Mirage is exactly what it claims to be, a simple, no frills car with great fuel consumption.

The plethora of colors they had at the dealership was interesting, not exactly the kind of colors I would choose, but the blue was the most appealing one to me.

The version I tried was the manual transmission one. Not sure I am comfortable with the CVT reliability and maintenance issues.

In any case I think I will pick one up as soon as Mitsubishi has lower interest rates and interesting offers.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MirageMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-25-2013),MetroMPG (09-25-2013),RapidRick (09-25-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hahaha I owned Ford Fiesta before exchange it to Mirage, and I really agrees with you, it's like night and day with the interior and seat, also steering wheel adjustment option's much better in Fiesta. But then again Fiesta's a class higher than this car, you should compare it with Aygo, and when you do you REALLY noticed how luxury Mirage is compared to Aygo.

Noise level is very much acceptable, if you driven Aygo for 3 weeks you will notice that Aygo's VERY noisy and makes it quite uncomfortable

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    "Not sure I am comfortable with the CVT reliability and maintenance issues."

? you mean in general with a CVT or with the cvt in the mirage/space star?

Quote Originally Posted by MirageMPG View Post
    So I finally got a chance to test out the Mirage...
    First test drive in Canada!

The car did not feel sluggish at all like I expected it to be. It was peppy on par with a 1998 Corolla I had owned in the past.
    Have you ever owned/driven a 3-cylinder car before? Mirage has 35% more power than the last version of the 3-cylinder Suzuki Swift / Pontiac Firefly / Chevy Metro sold here (74 vs 55 hp), yet it only weighs about 100 lbs more.

All in all, I had nothing negative to say about the car expect for the interior which seemed a bit bland in terms of features. Compared to the Ford Fiesta I had tried a few weeks earlier, it is night and day... But the Mirage is exactly what it claims to be, a simple, no frills car with great fuel consumption.
    That seems on par with the majority of "professional" opinions.

In any case I think I will pick one up as soon as Mitsubishi has lower interest rates and interesting offers.
    Interesting. Which trim/model? You recall that Mitsu offered $500 off to anyone willing to place an order before they were even available to test drive. I noticed a few other incentives available in Canada. So it seems to me they would be willing to move on the price a little bit.

If you do get one, would you be willing to share the details of the deal?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your impressions!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the quick review. Its good to start hearing them from people in North America!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've never driven a 3-cyl car before, it's my first one. The other "comparable" car I owned was a Nissan Micra back in the mid-90s (my first car). The power was pretty good, and I don't see myself having any issues merging into traffic at highway speeds.

I was honestly very impressed with the Fiesta's interior, much less with the Mirage, but it's passable, you get what you pay for. I've been lecturing my friends for many years at the lack of "simple, cheap, reliable" cars in North America, and we finally have a winner! The big difference is the lack of technology, besides the few tidbits of info on the odometer.

As for the CVT, I'm very uninformed about it, I heard of issues with CVT equipped cars (ie: Nissan) and wouldn't want to buy something with reliability issues. I tend to keep my cars until they die.

Thinking of getting the SE edition but at an ES price. The ES is OK, but it has 2 features that are lacking. (automatic lock/unlock of doors) and A/C. Yeah, I'm in Canada, but in the summer AC is a godsend. Still debating if the convenience package is worth it ($500) for handsfree bluetooth.

I'll definitely post some details if/when I go through with the purchase.

I can live without A/C. We get, what.. maybe 3-4 weeks a year where it's hot & humid in eastern Canada? And maybe half of that is truly hot?

But I also don't commute - all my driving is on the open road, so lots of airflow if I want it.

And I put these in the car for the few weeks a year it gets truly hot ... I actually call them "my air conditioner"...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    can you break down the different prices/options for us? why not make them an offer- it never hurts to know what they are or are not willing to accept.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Haha 3-4 weeks of Summer, on IL it's the opposite, 3-4 weeks of winter..

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thinking of getting the SE edition but at an ES price. The ES is OK, but it has 2 features that are lacking. (automatic lock/unlock of doors) and A/C. Yeah, I'm in Canada, but in the summer AC is a godsend. Still debating if the convenience package is worth it ($500) for handsfree bluetooth.

I thought A/C was going to be standard on all Mirages. Maybe not in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)