Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2014-15 Mirage rear drums are stupid expensive. (Aftermarket?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Looking back through the thread the original poster Rkt Ship doesn't mention a need to replace them, so I got the impression it was a matter of pricing out common replacement items.

Last time I remember, his Mirage (Sammy) was at 160,000 miles. Check out Sammy's garage entry. It's worth noting that he has replaced the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Odd to me too. My old sentra with 140000 km which my girlfriend now drives didn't need any drum work, and the Ontario safety check is incredibly anal. They made me replace shoes that easily had 40000 km still left on them.
    They most likely made you replace them because of the age. I see quite a few cars come through my shop with old shoes on them that never really wear for a couple reasons. Number one is that they become hard and glassy over time, just like brake pad glazing on discs, so they lose all they're stopping power and are never really being worn as a result. Number two is that even though most cars have "self adjusting" brake shoe setups, they still need some attention now and then to make sure that they are adjusted properly and the mechanisms are free of brake dust build-up so that they can actually be free to self adjust. In this case the brake shoe isn't making proper drum contact and is again not wearing normally and forcing your front brakes to do all the work.

As for replacing drums, we rarely see a case where it's necessary. My shop is in the southeast, so rust really isn't a problem here though. Most drums down here will last the life of the car barring some other brake failure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clayb34 View Post
    They most likely made you replace them because of the age. I see quite a few cars come through my shop with old shoes on them that never really wear for a couple reasons. Number one is that they become hard and glassy over time, just like brake pad glazing on discs, so they lose all they're stopping power and are never really being worn as a result. Number two is that even though most cars have "self adjusting" brake shoe setups, they still need some attention now and then to make sure that they are adjusted properly and the mechanisms are free of brake dust build-up so that they can actually be free to self adjust. In this case the brake shoe isn't making proper drum contact and is again not wearing normally and forcing your front brakes to do all the work.

As for replacing drums, we rarely see a case where it's necessary. My shop is in the southeast, so rust really isn't a problem here though. Most drums down here will last the life of the car barring some other brake failure.
    You would think, but it is not the case I'm afraid. I was quite upset and went in the back to talk to the mechanic. He showed me a measure they have to use along the length of the brake, and in one small section, it was literally a hair under the measure. The shoes are totally okay to use for another 40 000 km. I still have them and will put them on later if her car really lasts that long.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (08-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clayb34 View Post
    ...even though most cars have "self adjusting" brake shoe setups, they still need some attention now and then to make sure that they are adjusted properly...
    Agreed. My last car had rear drum brakes which I adjusted at each oil change. Even though the mechanisms were clean, you could always get a few clicks out of the self-adjusters. My rear brakes were always doing something...which is one of the reasons I never had to put brakes on that car in 180,000 miles.

The Mirage adjustment mechanism is a little unique. I haven't figured out if there's any way to adjust them beyond what the parking brake adjustment method will allow. Unlike star-wheel adjusted rear brakes, it doesn't look like there's a way to "fine tune" the adjustment of the Mirage's rear drum brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've found some at Advance Auto Parts. One of their Western New York locations, outside of Buffalo has a pair in stock. Hope this helps someone else like me who may be in a bind. Still trying to get those drums off... Thanks for the tips, Top Fuel!