Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which TPMS tool do you own and why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Which TPMS tool do you own and why?

As some of you know I am on the journey to get 4 winter tires for my 2015 Mirage with about 72K miles.
    I see the popular tools are for cloning TPMS sensors

Ateq VT37 Can program a number of different band sensors?
    MaxiTPMS PAD tool Autel Least expensive way to go BUT needs a computer to work and only programs Autel sensors
    Autel TS408 Standalone BUT can only use Autel sensors
    Autel TS508 Standalone BUT can only use Autel sensors costs more and assume do more?

Other brands
    FOXWELL T1000 don't know much about it.
    etc

Thanks for any help and/or advice you can offer.
    FYI I also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 135K The rear sensor have already been replace. Fronts are orig factor ones.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wouldn't bother with any TPMS tool that isn't a stand-alone device. I'm not dragging a frigging laptop out into my garage to scan TPMS sensors...even if it does save a few bucks on the tool cost.

Autel can only program Autel sensors but it can trigger/read almost anything.

Factor in software updates in your decision. A $100 tool isn't a good value if yearly software updates are $29.99.

I prefer a tool that has an OBDII interface. It won't help you with a Mirage, but it may help you with other Asian vehicles that tend to rely on the OBDII interface for relearns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was very happy with my MaxiTPMS pad. 60 something for the tool and less than 100 for four Autel sensors allowed me to read my existing sensor ID's by holding the pad up to the tires and then clone the ID's to the new sensors. Now I am ready for new rims and snow tires or just replacing any OEM sensors that die without any relearn hassle.

Hell, I had to drag a desktop computer out to the garage to do this since I don't have a windows laptop.

I think the MaxiTPMS pad is the Mitsubishi Mirage of TPMS tools. It doesn't impress anybody but it is an effective, low cost, way to get the job done!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pawpaw For This Useful Post:

daleWV (02-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    As some of you know I am on the journey to get 4 winter tires for my 2015 Mirage with about 72K miles.
    I see the popular tools are for cloning TPMS sensors

Ateq VT37 Can program a number of different band sensors?
    MaxiTPMS PAD tool Autel Least expensive way to go BUT needs a computer to work and only programs Autel sensors
    Autel TS408 Standalone BUT can only use Autel sensors
    Autel TS508 Standalone BUT can only use Autel sensors costs more and assume do more?

Other brands
    FOXWELL T1000 don't know much about it.
    etc

Thanks for any help and/or advice you can offer.
    FYI I also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 135K The rear sensor have already been replace. Fronts are orig factor ones.
    I can see the appeal of the Ateq VT37 over the Autel TS408, but I would find the answer to this one question - Will it work on a Mitsubishi vehicle?

I say that because when I first inquired about cloned sensors from my local tire shop guys in my small town area, they all had a local auto part store do their cloning for them. This was almost 5 years ago now. When I contacted this auto parts store & shared my desire to have cloned sensors for the winter set of tires for my Mirage, they said it couldn't be done for a Mirage. I don't remember asking what type of cloning tool they were using.

Now take this one step further - What companies does Ateq list for their VT37 tool? If I go by their printed information the list is -

Alfa Romeo, Audi, Bentley, BMW Motorcycle, Bugatti, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Fisker, Ford, Freightliner, Genesis, GMC, Honda Motorcycle, Hummer, Indian Motorcycle, Izuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Karma, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lincoln, Lotus, Maserati, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Maybach, Mercury, Mini, Plymouth, Pontiac, Porsche, RAM, Rolls-Royce, Saab, Saturn, Smart, Tesla, Volvo, VPG

When I look at that list, I don't see companies like Mitsubishi or Subaru. Rather than making an inquiry about this, I bought the more affordable Autel TS408 device & programmed 8 sensors for my Mirage & Forester.

If the Ateq tool is compatible to Mitsubishi, it would be the better option (different brands of sensors could be cloned).

By the way - there are other brands missing, too. Hyundai, KIA, Nissan, etc....

I would find out why? before buying this device.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like I am leaning to this because I think it will work with my 2009 Sonata too.
    Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF

Does anyone have one? What has been your experience with it?
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like I am leaning to this because I think it will work with my 2009 Sonata too.
    Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF

Does anyone have one? What has been your experience with it?
    Thanks
    I compared the Autel TS408 to the TS508. The main difference is price & the extra features of the TS508. You need to comare the difference in features & decide which one is better for you. See comparison below -

https://support.autel.com/support/so...mparison-chart

One of the extra features of the TS508 is the OBD2 sensor ID relearn.

I bought the TS408, because -

* TS408 = $122.09 with free shipping vs. TS508 = $299.99 with free shipping (using JB Tools' current prices).

* I have zero interest in changing the sensor codes on my Mirage. My only desire was to clone my winter wheels to the existing factory wheel codes on my Subaru Forester & Mitsubishi Mirage. When I change out all the wheels, I don't have to do anything extra to keep my TPMS working properly.

* Most of all, no one was claiming a huge success in doing an OBD2 sensor ID relearn on the Mirage with the Autel tool. Paying extra would have just ticked me off in that case.

* The money I saved in buying the TS408 device versus the TS508 almost covered the cost of the eight Autel MX-Sensor 2-in-1 sensors that I bought at the time.

My TS408 tool had no problem reading any of the codes on my Forester or Mirage wheels. Programming the new sensors was quite simple (very intuitive process). If someone values the extra features of the TS508, I have to believe it would be just as easy to use.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-19-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info I see the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF for $135 on Ebay that and my 09 Sonata is making me look into it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info I see the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF for $135 on Ebay that and my 09 Sonata is making me look into it.
    At that price, I would buy the TS508 over the TS408, too!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have an Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 (essentially a TS508WF minus the Wi-Fi software updates), along with my workplace. We use it check and diagnose sensors on a number of vehicles, batch program one set of Autel MX 1-Sensors (4 per vehicle, 5 if you include a full-size spare equipped with a TPMS sensor), and perform relearns through stationary methods and the OBD-II port. My pet peeve is if I was going to do an OBD relearn on certain Hyundais and Kias (since 2017), the tool says it requires a network connection and I needed a MaxiTPMS TS608 or a MaxiSYS MS906TS (or, in my case, a MaxiTPMS iTS600 with a Bluetooth VCI dongle) to complete the OBD relearn process. Otherwise, most 2017-up Hyundais and Kias are capable of an automatic relearn (drive above 20 mph/32 km/h for up to 20 minutes on the highway). Other than that, I have no problems with the tool. It also makes most Mitsubishi relearns (starting with the Lancer all the way to the Outlander PHEV) a one-tool job.

I also have an Ateq VT37 in my toolbox for one reason: widespread aftermarket programmable TPMS sensor coverage despite not having OBD connectivity. And being a standalone TPMS programming and activation tool, it's capable of performing stationary relearns on its own or work with any bi-directional diagnostic scan tool to perform OBD relearns. Subaru and Mitsubishi are included for the latter.

Finally, the software updates. While the TS508 gets free software updates for the tool's lifetime, you're stuck programming blank Autel MX-Sensors. But you can still read and activate any TPMS sensor, OEM and aftermarket direct-fit. As does the VT37, yet the tool's software update license is $92 US per year after the first period expires if you want to stay up-to-date on vehicle and sensor coverage.

Lastly, the price. I bought the TS508 for $200 CDN on eBay, along with the VT37 for $344 CDN. Looking at the price tags, buying them both cost a lot less than a typical combination TPMS tool costing over $1,000.
    Last edited by jtr990; 02-20-2022 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Additional information

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    I have an Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 (essentially a TS508WF minus the Wi-Fi software updates), along with my workplace. We use it check and diagnose sensors on a number of vehicles, batch program one set of Autel MX 1-Sensors (4 per vehicle, 5 if you include a full-size spare equipped with a TPMS sensor), and perform relearns through stationary methods and the OBD-II port. My pet peeve is if I was going to do an OBD relearn on certain Hyundais and Kias (since 2017), the tool says it requires a network connection and I needed a MaxiTPMS TS608 or a MaxiSYS MS906TS (or, in my case, a MaxiTPMS iTS600 with a Bluetooth VCI dongle) to complete the OBD relearn process. Otherwise, most 2017-up Hyundais and Kias are capable of an automatic relearn (drive above 20 mph/32 km/h for up to 20 minutes on the highway). Other than that, I have no problems with the tool. It also makes most Mitsubishi relearns (starting with the Lancer all the way to the Outlander PHEV) a one-tool job.

I also have an Ateq VT37 in my toolbox for one reason: widespread aftermarket programmable TPMS sensor coverage despite not having OBD connectivity. And being a standalone TPMS programming and activation tool, it's capable of performing stationary relearns on its own or work with any bi-directional diagnostic scan tool to perform OBD relearns. Subaru and Mitsubishi are included for the latter.

Finally, the software updates. While the TS508 gets free software updates for the tool's lifetime, you're stuck programming blank Autel MX-Sensors. But you can still read and activate any TPMS sensor, OEM and aftermarket direct-fit. As does the VT37, yet the tool's software update license is $92 US per year after the first period expires if you want to stay up-to-date on vehicle and sensor coverage.

Lastly, the price. I bought the TS508 for $200 CDN on eBay, along with the VT37 for $344 CDN. Looking at the price tags, buying them both cost a lot less than a typical combination TPMS tool costing over $1,000.
    VT37 information lists -

Alfa Romeo, Audi, Bentley, BMW Motorcycle, Bugatti, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Fisker, Ford, Freightliner, Genesis, GMC, Honda Motorcycle, Hummer, Indian Motorcycle, Izuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Karma, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lincoln, Lotus, Maserati, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Maybach, Mercury, Mini, Plymouth, Pontiac, Porsche, RAM, Rolls-Royce, Saab, Saturn, Smart, Tesla, Volvo, VPG

Why are companies like Mitsubishi, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA, Subaru, etc.... not included?

I would have that question if I was buying that tool. If the VT37 tool works on all brands of vehicles, it would be great to know that! I've throw this out there before, because I find it very odd that some major brands are missing on the list. It's a fair question.

Speaking for myself - I am quite content with the Autel TS408 tool. I will have zero regrets, unless Autel MX-Sensors prove to be of poor quality. So far I have programmed 4 sensors for my 2017 Mirage & 4 sensors for my 2011 Forester without any issues. If they last 5+ years, I have no problem with that.

I bought a simple cloning device to avoid having to do a sensor relearn on my vehicles. I have zero interest in doing a vehicle relearn. That's more work than I want to do when changing wheels on both vehicles twice a year. I am not a tire shop. If I had to do more than just cloning sensors, I would just say screw it. I would live with the dash light being on or fix it with some black electrical tape covering it.

I have no doubt the VT37 device is a superior device, but I am not that interested in spending the next 10+ years experimenting with different brands of cloning type sensors to find the best one.

Personally, I think most of this topic SUCKS! A mandated item like TPMS should not be such a PIA. If the average new vehicle $47,000+ these days, a person should be able to put any four codes on their vehicle & you simply push a button & the vehicle just automatically registers them (no extra tools necessary). That type of technical has existed long before TPMS was mandated. I am not impressed with today's auto industry.