Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G4 2000+ mile road trip MPG report

Country
    United States
    Thanks

G4 2000+ mile road trip MPG report

Hi all, we just returned from our first long road trip with our 2017 G4 CVT from Phoenix, AZ to Yellowstone National Park and thought I'd give an MPG report. These numbers are from the Ave A digital gauge, which I have calibrated a few times with tank fill calculations. My calculations have shown the gauge to be up to 1 MPG conservative or 1 MPG optimistic, and some times dead on. Started with about 17K mi on the odometer. Stock Enasave tires with about 38 or 39 psi. Two adult passengers with luggage for the long hauls and 4 adult passengers inside the park.

51.0 MPG, Mesa, AZ to Parowan, UT. (475 mi). Ran A/C maybe 1/3 way, lost around 45 minutes to stop and go holiday traffic/rain around Flagstaff. Average speed of 65 mph, otherwise.

51.4 MPG, Parowan, UT to West Yellowstone (550 mi). Ran A/C some of the way. Went 75-80 mph on I15 when we could. Had a bit of a tail wind (but at an angle) on I15 some of the way. Filled with 85 octane fuel in UT.

58.7 MPG, West Yellowstone to Old Faithful and other places inside the park and back again (about 160 mi). Speed 45 to 50 mph.

54.x MPG, West Yellowstone to Yellowstone Lake Hotel and a couple other stops (about 75 mi). Speed 45 to 50 mph.

68.5 MPG, Yellowstone Lake Hotel to West Yellowstone (about 70 mi), Speed 45 to 50 mph. I'm guessing this was more down hill than up.

49.0 MPG, West Yellowstone to Panguitch, UT (565 mi). Lost near 2 hours to holiday/rush hour traffic through Salt Lake and Provo. Head wind a lot of the way. Speed 75 mph on I15 and 65 elsewhere. Ran A/C a lot of the way. Filled with 85 octane in UT.

52.4 MPG, Panuitch, UT to Mesa, AZ (435 mi). Speed 65 mph most places, but 70 from Flag to Phoenix. Ran A/C over half of the way.

Last edited by azdonw; 09-04-2018 at 03:41 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-04-2018),Daox (09-04-2018),Gnarles2 (09-04-2018),Marklovski (09-04-2018),MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Those are great numbers azdonw. I'll bet it was a wonderful trip.

I've been tracking my MID fuel economy accuracy and have found it to be about 2 mpg above my calculations on average. I keep details in my Fuel Economy Log.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure why my calculations show the gauge varying from conservative to optimistic, but I imagine it would be due to different pumps shutting off differently. But I've never seen it off by more than +-1 MPG. I've only tested it 3 or 4 times, though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Regardless of the accuracy of your gauge, you did extremely well with the mpg on your trip! For a small inexpensive non-hybrid car, they do amazingly well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark, my wife and I both love this car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Thanks Mark, my wife and I both love this car!
    I sort of remember your story, & I looked it back up again. You got an awesome deal on your car. $7500 "out the door" for a 2017 Mirage with only 13,000 miles on it. Add in the great mileage you are getting & your happiness with the car, what's not to love???

Given the average new vehicle is over $30,000 now, the value of a Mirage is quite easy to see. It's amazing how some professional car critics miss that. If consumer reports really cared about consumers, they would look at this car more fairly. I really like my Mirage, too. If something happened to it, I would buy another one tomorrow.

My Subaru Forester is a highly acclaimed vehicle by Consumer Reports. It's going in going in next week for a complete short block replacement as part of a class action lawsuit against Subaru. My Forester didn't even make it to the 1,200-1,600 mile oil consumption test. I took it back @ 1,000 miles, because it was already a quart low. At that rate, one would be adding almost 7 quarts of oil between 7,500 mile oil changes. I am glad Subaru is addressing the issue, but does this vehicle deserve the high acclaim of Consumer Reports while trashing vehicles like the Mirage?

I don't mean to change the topic here or vent. The Mirage is a great little car that does what it is meant to do very well. Somehow that message gets lost over the hype of more expensive vehicles. I enjoy people like you singing your praises of this great small car. It's well deserved!
    Last edited by Mark; 09-04-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, I'm with you about the reviews. Every car reviewer is used to driving sport or luxury cars then compares the Mirage to them, maybe subconsciously. They completely ignore how happy or even enthusiastic the owners of them are. I drive by Prius's and laugh because I'm getting as good or better MPG for 1/3 the cost...and the likely future maintenance. It's a simple car that does what it's supposed to do reliably. Part of the fun I have with it is watching the MPG gauge as I drive and trying to do better. I tell my wife it's like playing a video game.

Sorry to hear about your Subaru. I was just recommending those to my brother who lives in Colorado and needs 4x4 or all-wheel-drive. He's been buying older Ford SUVs and pickups that get 17 MPG. His wife has to drive 45 mi each way, now; and the gas bill is hurting. Not sure what option would be best for him, now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Subaru. I was just recommending those to my brother who lives in Colorado and needs 4x4 or all-wheel-drive. He's been buying older Ford SUVs and pickups that get 17 MPG. His wife has to drive 45 mi each way, now; and the gas bill is hurting. Not sure what option would be best for him, now.
    I don't mean to sour anyone on Subaru, but the 2011-14 models do have a class action lawsuit against them. The lawsuit extended the warranty to 8 years and 100,000 miles, and my Forester fell within that. A friend of mine had their engine entirely rebuilt, too. Unlike me, they didn't check their oil frequently. When they went in for an oil change, it was 3-4 quarts low. Their discussion inspired me to have my Subaru tested. I already knew it was burning oil, but their consumption test was needed to confirm it. Subaru is not the only company with problems either. My dad's GMC Terrain had bad piston rings, & it received a complete overhaul (along with a 150,000 miles extra powertrain warranty).

I like many things about the Forester, but the boxer engines are harder to work on. There are many owners that love their Subaru vehicles, & they have a cult following of their own. I wish my experience were more positive. They are addressing the issue, & I appreciate that.

Subaru vehicles are quite popular in my area, but I am not totally sold on them. I am sold on the Mirage, however. As long as you don't pay to much for one, they are a great small car!!!

Not trying to sway anyone, but a discounted 2018 Outlander Sport (when the 2019 start appearing on lots) is not vehicle I would overlook. 5-year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper, 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited roadside assistance is a nice perk.

I prefer the Sport over the other two models, but that is personal taste.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not trying to sway anyone, but a discounted 2018 Outlander Sport (when the 2019 start appearing on lots) is not vehicle I would overlook. 5-year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper, 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited roadside assistance is a nice perk. I prefer the Sport over the other two models, but that is personal taste.
    I agree about the Outlander Sport. Even though it has been around in it's current form for a number of years it's reliable and with the 2.0 pretty fuel efficient (but not a powerhouse by any means). With the 2.4 it's a lot better and Mitsubishi's AWD system is really excellent. The Outlander Sport is probably one of the most capable offroad CUV's. They get knocked by "professional reviewers" for their dated interiors (like the Mirage) but it's got a great reputation for withstanding some pretty punishing conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to mention the Outlander Sport to him. He was driving a Ford Expedition he bought in an auction for $3000, a former law enforcement vehicle. With the price of gas, though, I'm not sure going cheap on the upfront cost pays in the long run.