Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing: Exterior mirror blank / delete plate 3d printed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Developing: Exterior mirror blank / delete plate 3d printed

A lot of the Metro guys will quickly recognize this 'mod'. It is a blanking plate, or delete plate that allows you to remove your exterior mirror, and covers up any holes in the door. A lot of OEMs have used this to not only reduce the cost of a vehicle, but also increase the fuel economy of a car. Testing on Ecomodder shows this mod good for about a 2% increase in fuel economy per mirror removed. Not only that, but a nice side effect is reduced wind noise because the mirrors wreak havoc with aerodynamics.

What motivated me to do this mod was I recently was contacted by a Metro owner who wanted a mirror blanking plate. I made one for him on my 3d printer, and quickly wondered why I hadn't made one for the Mirage yet. So, I took the morning, removed my mirror (which is super easy), and started mocking things up. I started by cutting out a piece of cardboard to fit where the mirror used to cover. I then brought that inside and scanned it and put it into my CAD software to start the design. This is what I came up with.

Name:  miragemirror01.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  miragemirror02.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  43.7 KB

Version 1 was printed out in super low quality draft mode just to get something to quickly see how it fit and make adjustments. Version 2 was printed out last night while I was out for the evening at church. I fit it up today and it looks pretty good to me. Here are a few pictures.

Name:  IMG_20180720_102529715_HDR.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20180720_102547819.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  97.7 KB

Here it is held up to the car. The mounting points need some adjustment, so had to hold it in place.

Name:  IMG_20180720_102739089_HDR.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  98.2 KB

So, I am going to tweak the mounting points, and finalize what hardware I want to use. The current holes are too small because the holes in the door are fairly large and I need a bolt with a larger head.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-20-2018)

FYI, I delete the passenger side mirror on most of my cars.

Note: I then replace it with an aftermarket interior mirror mounted on the inside A-pillar close to the usual side mirror line of sight. A slightly convex one replaces much (but not all) of the functionality of the outside one.

Some people have mounted small video cameras in the blanking plate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since you're 3D printing this, and anything is possible... why not make the visible contours pick up the shape of the trim piece in front of it? Make it blend and look like an OE part.
    Simplify and add lightness.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (07-23-2018),mohammad (02-16-2022)

Haha - I mentioned the exact same thing.

Will let Tim explain...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Also just FYI:

Passenger mirror deletion (extreme downsize, really) was part of a set of aero modifications I tested on a 2014 Mirage 5-spd:

Thread: Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% MPG improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The printer needs a flat base to start with as it builds layer upon layer. The printer is able to print overhangs as it prints, however most likely not at that shallow of an angle. I may attempt it. We'll see.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

Concern!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    FYI, I delete the passenger side mirror on most of my cars. Note: I then replace it with an aftermarket interior mirror mounted on the inside A-pillar close to the usual side mirror line of sight. A slightly convex one replaces much (but not all) of the functionality of the outside one.
    I like the thought of making the Mirage as fuel efficient as possible, & I love reading about the next best thing.

Adding a mirror to the A-pillar of any new car would concern me. I believe most new cars have air bags in the A-pillars. I know my 2017 Mirage identifies an air bag being there. Adding a interior mirror to an old Metro or Festiva may be fine, but I wouldn't recommend that for a new car with air bags. I remember old car dashes being cluttered with stuff as a kid. Those days were prior to air bags. My Ford Festiva (no air bags) had the automatic belts that attacked you when you started the car. Anyone remember those? Some old cars had dashes designed to throw stuff on. Air bags changed all that.

As a driving instructor, I really rely on the passenger mirror. I can't imagine teaching without it. I spent hours coaching students to parallel park earlier today. I would feel lost without a passenger mirror. Having a back up camera doesn't help you when you are flying down the road about to make a lane change. I've owned cars that didn't have an passenger mirror, but that was a long time ago. A base Festiva came that way. Heck, all motorcycles even come with two side mirrors. They truly serve a purpose!

I probably said "SMOG it" over 20 times today. SIGNAL, check MIRRORS, check OVER THE SHOULDER, and GO if clear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    In Oregon the passenger mirror is not required if you have a driver's side outside mirror and a inside center rear view mirror. I'm not saying deleting your passenger side mirror is a best practice, but at least in Oregon, it's not illegal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Former instructor here, too.

Agreed on being careful of where the airbags are if considering relocating a mirror inside. Of course my personal cars are 18, 20 and 28 years-old respectively. No side curtain airbags to worry about!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    In Oregon the passenger mirror is not required if you have a driver's side outside mirror and a inside center rear view mirror. I'm not saying deleting your passenger side mirror is a best practice, but at least in Oregon, it's not illegal.
    Don't quote me on this (you should know your laws for your area) - I don't think a passenger mirror is required in any state, except when the inside review mirror is blocked. For example, pulling a large camper or a semi-truck would required having two side mirrors by law.

Passenger mirrors started out as a luxury item. That's why old cheap basic cars never had them.