Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrible MPG (was getting 37 mpg, now 27)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Please do, I've been in a similar situation all year. I luckily still have to do a lot of highway driving where it still shines, but city mpg is deplorable.
    By the way, what kind of engine oil are you using? ivsito mentioned he uses Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ivsito View Post
    I changed, oil every 5k with mobile one full Synthetic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Someone with a very good scan tool (not a $59 code reader) needs to take a look at some basic diagnostic data in your car's computer. I would want to know what your car's long and short term fuel trim looks like. Without going into a huge explanation, it's a simple way to tell if your computer is intentionally directing more fuel to be burned by the engine for some reason...like to compensate for a real or perceived lean condition caused by too much air entering the engine.

Here's a quick overview: Fuel trim can be a valuable diagnostic tool
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCEXGXF wonder if this might work. Seems to be able to show live data.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-5-spd-and-CVT

Compare your steady speed MPG to the speed/mpg chart just to make sure something out is of whack. I know the longer I own a car/motorcycle the more rpms I tend to use. 50 mph should net close 60 mpg.

If you've replaced your tire recently that can have a big negative on MPG.
    Last edited by roosterk0031; 09-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    By the way, what kind of engine oil are you using? ivsito mentioned he uses Mobil 1.
    I'm using the 0w20 variant of Motomaster Formula 1. I bought 3 5 L jugs in Canada for very cheap (26 CAD each) to use for 5 oil changes. I believe I have done 4 now. I am not changing at such short intervals though, rather opting for the amount they say I should be able to get. perhaps I should change it more regularly; it really isn't a lot of oil per change.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...-0288712p.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-12-2017)

Any more news to report, ivsito?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just reading up on threads.

Check this out..

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...v-then-normal?

You've got to be kidding me. Are you just a spammer kid?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No sir, just trying to help

I was starting to get irritated since I just bought the car and haven't seen anywhere near the 44mpg advertised. It's the main reason I bought the car. So far though it's a pretty decent ride and I don't understand all the hate I've seen in more than a few reviews.

Kungpaoshizi,welcome to the site.

I've seen you've replied to a lot of the fuel economy threads. I think you should start your own thread, otherwise it's going to be too messy for people to help you figure out what might be going on with your car's fuel economy.

Also, so we know what year/trim/transmission you have (and then that info will be linked from all your posts), make a garage entry: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ahh forgot to add to the garage, thanks for the reminder.

That thread I linked I guess you could call my main thread on this. After reading through abunch of posts in this section it sounds like there's a few other people in the same boat. Whether or not they're related will be the big mystery.

After I got into cars when I got a miata I found out they're about as complex as computer systems in corporate environments.
    I found a new respect for mechanics at that point in my life!