Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed In Mitsubishi Service.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Disappointed In Mitsubishi Service.

I need some advice about recent service at a Mitsubishi dealership. In October of 2016 I purchased a 2017 Mirage, in the state of Illinois. Wonderful experience. I currently live in Alabama, and found a dealership in Georgia for my service needs. In August of this year (2017) I had around 3000 miles on the Mirage, and decided to take the car in for a free oil change and 27 point look over, and tire rotation. I used the coupon that my Illinois dealer gave me, which I didn't realize had expired in May of 2017. They said they would honor the coupon, so that I would become a user of their services. The next morning I checked the oil and it was about 3/4 of an inch above the top dot on the stick. I called the dealership and explained that this should not be, and basically they said it was ok. So later that day I took the car to my local garage and put it up on the hoist and said please change that oil filter. I knew that the original filter was shorter and a b***h to get off, and it was. So I compared the part number of the filter that they said they put on and it was different. So then I asked the mechanic if he felt if the drain plug was ever taken off, and he said it didn't look like a wrench ever touched that plug. So I have concluded that the dealership said that they did all this service, but as far as the oil goes they just added some and never changed the filter. I can't say if they did the 27 point look over or if they rotated the tires. They made it look like they honored my coupon but in essence I feel they did nothing but add a little oil. So needless to say, I can't trust that dealership, and need to find another. Do I confront the dealership or contact Mitsubishi directly. Thank you for any advice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello zippo49 and welcome to the forum.

I say contact Mitsubishi directly.

It's not unheard of that even Mitsubishi service overfills these engines as they only take a little over 3 quarts.

There are many oil filters that fit, and most forum members report getting a filter from Mitsubishi with a different part number than what was installed at the factory. However the factory filter is very difficult to remove. If a filter gasket is oiled before installation it won't stick so much.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-18-2017 at 08:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. I agree with Eggman, contact Mitsubishi North America directly

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Unfortunately, it's not unusual that a dealer overfills the oil by a little bit in these cars. You can read multiple accounts here...

Dealer overfilled oil

Overfilling is one thing. Knowing for certain that a shop didn't perform any oil change is another. I'm not sure an unscratched oil drain plug is evidence of anything. I don't think my original drain plug has a mark on it and it's been off a few times.

If the oil was literally just changed the day before, it should appear almost clear on the dipstick compared to oil with 3000 miles.

The 27 point inspection is total BS no matter who is doing it...so don't worry about that. Every professional tech on this forum knows it. The dealers use coupons, discounts and "multi-point inspections" to get you in the door and upsell you on other services. They just can't nail you yet because your car is too new.

If you feel you can't trust this dealer, then don't go back. If you have a local garage you trust, give them your maintenance business. Just use the dealer for warranty work when you have to. Someday you may have to get warranty work done there...and in my opinion it's not worth creating bad blood with the dealership over this unless you have absolute proof they didn't do anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I understand what your saying, but I'm 100% sure that they did not change the filter.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    personally my first instinct would be to take the dealer on face to face at the service desk in front of customers. But... since you lost nothing but time as the coupon was expired anyway and there is no way to prove your suspicions at this time you should let this one go.
    If you feel you have something to prove you can take steps to mark your filter and drain plug and take pics of markings. When you get your next service done you will either have proof of wrongdoing or if markings disappear, peace of mind knowing it was done.
    As mentioned above, the multi point inspections are mostly BS and carried out haphazardly anyway.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

I'd find out if they changed the filter before getting to mad. Having oil overfilled happens, likely an honest mistake from oil change kid or by a know it all but not really tech. Either way the dealer should have had you come back and drain some out or just redo it. What part number was on the filter that the dealer installed? The one the dealer supplies me has the part number mz690072 and it's wrapped in plastic and already has the o-ring greased, the factory part number is 1230a105 which I don't believe you can even buy from the dealer.
    Here's some more info: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...er-Part-Number
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...l-filter-types

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The filter that my local guy took off was part number 1230a105. Part number mz690072 was what they said they put on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never used the coupon and changed my own oil. But that's just me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think it's fair to condemn all Mitsubishi Service as the title of the thread implies. It sounds to me like you just had bad service at one dealership. I would go to Mitsubishi to resolve this problem if I felt strongly enough about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-15-2017),poorman1 (09-16-2017)