Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS won't go off

Country
    United States
    Thanks

TPMS won't go off

My TPMS light has been on for a couple of days. This whole week, it would turn on in the mornings, but after about a 45-minute drive, it would go off. I finally got around to filling up my tires, but now the light won't go off at all. I don't believe I have any punctures like the manual suggested may be the issue, and the light doesn't blink to indicate a malfunction. Should I get new tires? They are the originals with almost 30 thousand miles on them. They still have sufficient tread, but are a little dry on the sides.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    ...This whole week, it would turn on in the mornings, but after about a 45-minute drive, it would go off.
    That sounds like a case of low pressure in one or more tires that is right on the edge. FYI...the light comes on when any of the 4 tires has a pressure below 27.4 psi according to the service manual. You're positive your tires are all inflated above this level, right?

...finally got around to filling up my tires, but now the light won't go off at all.
    Does the light flash for the first minute after you start your car and then remain on solid after the first minute? Or it never flashes at all and it's just on solid all the time?

According to the service manual, a solid light means one of 2 things:

WHEN THE TPMS WARNING LIGHT IS ON
    If the TPMS warning light illuminates, check the inflation pressure of all the tires and adjust and drive if necessary. If the TPMS warning light still remains illuminated, a flat tire or a defective TPMS transmitter is suspected.

If the TPMS light never flashes...and you have adequate tire pressure...and the light still won't go out, then something is probably messed up with one of your TPMS sensors. The computer can still see it (if the sensor was completely dead, the TPMS light would flash for 1 minute and then remain on)...but the sensor may be sending junk/inconsistent data to the computer. A Mitsubishi scan tool can be used to determine which TPMS sensor is the problem. Most dealers will charge you $100 to tell you that. Then they'll want $100 for the replacement sensor, and maybe another $50 to install it. Is the car still under warranty?

There are some generic tools that can tell if a TPMS sensor is broadcasting, but I'm not sure these types of tools will help you right now because it doesn't sound like your sensor is actually dead yet. But it may be on its way.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-16-2017 at 03:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (09-16-2017),Cobrajet (09-16-2017),Daox (10-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    TPMS sensors have a battery life of about 5 years (and the battery can't be replaced), so it is possible you may have one that is simply on it's way out. I think the whole system is a useless pain in the ass... We can thank Ford and Firestone for it.

If the system can't pick up a sensor the TPMS light will flash for a while then stay on steady, as was mentioned. This happens every year to me when I put on my snow wheels. If it's on steady all the time, you have a larger issue.

Hit any big potholes or anything lately?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hit any big potholes or anything lately?
    I did a few weeks ago, but everything was fine until this week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top_Fuel, yes, the car is still under warranty. If the issue persists, I'll try to take it in.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That sounds like a case of low pressure in one or more tires that is right on the edge. FYI...the light comes on when any of the 4 tires has a pressure below 27.4 psi according to the service manual. You're positive your tires are all inflated above this level, right?

Does the light flash for the first minute after you start your car and then remain on solid after the first minute? Or it never flashes at all and it's just on solid all the time?

According to the service manual, a solid light means one of 2 things:

If the TPMS light never flashes...and you have adequate tire pressure...and the light still won't go out, then something is probably messed up with one of your TPMS sensors. The computer can still see it (if the sensor was completely dead, the TPMS light would flash for 1 minute and then remain on)...but the sensor may be sending junk/inconsistent data to the computer. A Mitsubishi scan tool can be used to determine which TPMS sensor is the problem. Most dealers will charge you $100 to tell you that. Then they'll want $100 for the replacement sensor, and maybe another $50 to install it. Is the car still under warranty?

There are some generic tools that can tell if a TPMS sensor is broadcasting, but I'm not sure these types of tools will help you right now because it doesn't sound like your sensor is actually dead yet. But it may be on its way.
    My girl's G4 tpms light just came on when she was driving, no flashing. What does that mean? Slow leak in a tire?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My girl's G4 tpms light just came on when she was driving, no flashing. What does that mean?
    The next time she starts her car, tell her to watch the TPMS light. Does it flash for 1 minute and then stay on solid...or does the light just stay on solid from the moment she starts the car? If the light is always on solid and never flashes, then one or more of her tires is below approximately 26 PSI.

This is all explained here: TPMS Warning Light

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-01-2019),Dirk Diggler (10-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If it's on in the cool morning then turns off with travel, add another couple psi to each tire.

33 is the COLD psi. No reason to not air them to 35 or 36 when warm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-01-2019),Fummins (10-02-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The next time she starts her car, tell her to watch the TPMS light. Does it flash for 1 minute and then stay on solid...or does the light just stay on solid from the moment she starts the car? If the light is always on solid and never flashes, then one or more of her tires is below approximately 26 PSI.

This is all explained here: TPMS Warning Light
    I think its a slow leak on the back right, which sucks because thats a brand new tire. Im at the shop hoping to get a plug, didnt see anything on the side wall thank god.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Well Firestone said there was no leak at all and the tire was fine, also on her way home from work this afternoon the tpms sensor went back out. I explained 3 out the 4 tires were at 33 psi but that back right was at 30 psi and that the tpms light came on after about 10 mins of driving. It didnt flash, just came on. Maybe my sensor is just over sensitive because there is no way that tire got below 27 psi. Its a mystery. I did get brake work done last on it, maybe that had something to do with it.