Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: break in period

Country
    United States
    Thanks

break in period

According to the manual it says to drive it gently till about 300miles and then you're good to go. I got the car at 276 miles and drove it gently till about 600 (shifting in between 3k-3.4k).

I'm at 1300 and i've been consistently shifting at 3.4k-4k. When would i be good to take her to redline a few times?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    You should be okay. I tach mine out every now and then also!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

jscv0341 (09-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscv0341 View Post
    When would i be good to take her to redline a few times?
    Once the engine is up to temperature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-18-2017),jscv0341 (09-16-2017),Marklovski (09-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 3k miles and have never pulled it past 5k. And even then only a handful of times

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    . . . . I wait until I have 500 miles on an engine before I run the engine above 4K then I shift at 5K. After 1K miles I shift at the red line when getting up to high speed. Around town I shift at about 4K. I do a lot of red line work.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Hello all,
    . . . . I wait until I have 500 miles on an engine before I run the engine above 4K then I shift at 5K. After 1K miles I shift at the red line when getting up to high speed. Around town I shift at about 4K. I do a lot of red line work.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

So what are your thoughts on Mitsubishi's little 1.2 3A92 engine now that you've put a bunch of miles on your new Mirage? i think it's a gem of a little motor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    inuvik,
    . . . . I like this little engine. I am quite impressed with the way it performs. I have had the car up to 100 mph and it was still pulling. It cruises very comfortably at 85 mph. It will pull 10% grades at 75 to 80 mph with no problem. Overall I am averaging 40 mpg. I am happy with my Mirage. I am seriously considering a turbo with 7 to 8 psi of boost. A little more punch for passing at highway speeds and for pulling steep grades at high altitude. I also believe that the stock engine is putting out about 90 or 95 hp.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    inuvik, I also believe that the stock engine is putting out about 90 or 95 hp.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    I'm thinking about boosting my hp. It's been widely discussed, acknowledged and clinically proven that stickers truly do add more hp so it's totally possible the stock engine could easily be making 90-95 hp with appropriately place stickers. With racing stripes some have seen as much as 100 hp gains.

Back to a less serious note, I'm sure I watched a vijeo by a guy in Austrialia on the youtubes that built his own turbo kit for a Mirage/space star/whatever else they call these things. I believe the member on this forum runs a stand alone efi setup in his dune buggy thing with a mirage engine in it so anything is possible.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . By everything that I have been able to gather the internals of the engine should be able to handle 7 to 8 psi of boost with no trouble. It has been recommended to up grade to Evo injectors.That would give an extra 40 HP or so.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscv0341 View Post
    According to the manual it says to drive it gently till about 300miles and then you're good to go. I got the car at 276 miles and drove it gently till about 600 (shifting in between 3k-3.4k).

I'm at 1300 and i've been consistently shifting at 3.4k-4k. When would i be good to take her to redline a few times?
    White Bear was sold out of manuals when I bought my 2017 Mirage ES Manual in October of that year. The 2018 Mirages were already on the lots, & I test drove a 2018 locally.

White Bear found my first color choice @ another dealership & delivered it to my home. The salesman they sent to deliver my Mirage claimed it had 62 miles on it when he left their parking lot that morning. He put on the next 200 miles to deliver it to me.

Their delivery of the car saved me 8-hours of being on the road that day, but it also meant I wasn't racking up the first couple hundred miles on my Mirage. I don't mind. I sort of liked doing the paperwork for my car on my kitchen table. Pretty simple way to buy a new car!