Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    My tundra Was no where close to 60k but I understand what you're saying. Toyota uses a sealed trans. Saying the fluid is good for life (BS) I will eventually pump out the old and pump in new but not for a very long time.

Yeah I would bet if you swapped out the fluid it would have prolonged the life of that cvt. Keep us all posted as I think I speak for everyone, we all enjoy hearing about the fleet you maintain!!
    I haven't touched a newer toyota yet, so you don't have a tranny pan or filter? I just took a guess on the price. Everything cost's more here, check out this one: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true It's already had someone fart in the seat and they want $81k cad!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    How often was that CVT serviced? Nearly 200k miles is pretty good!
    I missed your post. It was drained and filled every 50-80k kms. I last changed it about 6000kms ago.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Very unrelated but has anyone else gotten snow yet? It's coming down pretty good here right now!
    Condolences!*

I'm sitting outside in high 20's C (80's F) here in eastern Ontario. Looking forward to more fine sailing weather yet!

* (Unless of course you're into winter activities and looking forward to an early start. )

---

Thanks for sharing the CVT info. I added kms / miles to the thread title to give it a bit more context at a glance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Keep us all posted as I think I speak for everyone, we all enjoy hearing about the fleet you maintain!!
    +1 I don't own a Mirage but I'm interested in them and as Pryme said I too enjoy reading about the fleet & the maintenance you carry out on it.
    Contemplating a Mirage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I missed your post. It was drained and filled every 50-80k kms. I last changed it about 6000kms ago.
    This is probably a dumb question, but did you use Mitsubishi's transmission fluid? I read somewhere that using anything other than their fluid would cause issues. I don't know how true that is, but better safe than sorry.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but did you use Mitsubishi's transmission fluid? I read somewhere that using anything other than their fluid would cause issues. I don't know how true that is, but better safe than sorry.
    Not dumb at all. I should have mentioned that I used the mitsubishi stuff at first until I found a much cheaper alternative that meets the mitsubishi specs(cvtf-j4). But I'm sure the cvt failed cause of normal wear and never having the filter changed. But it still seems pretty premature. I haven't had time to pull the old one out yet but once it's out I'll pull it apart and see where the metal pieces came from. Some of the larger pieces looked like shavings of a large thin washer or shim. From what I could see of the belt, It looked to be in one piece.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (09-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I'm sure the cvt failed cause of normal wear and never having the filter changed.
    With that much material in the pan, it certainly makes you wonder if a restricted filter was limiting fluid flow at some point.

I'm still somewhat stunned by the lack of mention of the filter in the service manual. I may have to put that into the same category with "lubed for life" ball joints that never need servicing...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's possible, I'll cut the filter apart one day. Most of the metal seemed to be stuck to the 2 magnets in the pan. The balljoints and tie rods still seem tight though. Good for another 300k. I pulled the suspension crossmember down so far. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but the input shaft on the rack and pinion does not have an alignment notch or keyway so make sure you mark the input and intermediate shaft if you take it apart this way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much biggers the cvt trans you gatta drop the sub? That's terrible! i was able to sneak the 5spd out no problem. Sucks you have to do that.

Are you going to pull a filter on any of the good running cars?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I haven't seen a 5 speed mirage tranny but they usually are much smaller.Name:  IMG_7767[1].jpg
Views: 173
Size:  93.0 KBName:  IMG_7768[1].jpg
Views: 174
Size:  92.7 KB I just pulled the frame out cause I have a 2 post hoist here and it only took a 10 mins to pull it out. You might be able to get it out without doing that or wiggle it out the front if you pull the bumper and rad support?
    Once I get a few filters from the dealer I'll be pulling a few pans on other cars to see how they look.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-21-2017),MetroMPG (09-22-2017),MightyMirageMpg (09-22-2017)