Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You guys really think 190k miles on a highway cars trans is Good? I think that's not that good at all. Especially at 4k a pop.
    Yes. For a manual gearbox no

Only an idiot would drop 4k on a new one.

Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 09-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also follow Toyota Tundra news as I have one and there is a million mile Tundra that was used as a hotshot delivery truck for the oil business. Used to haul and tow daily. The original automatic lasted until 770k miles when reverse went out.
    Tons of other tundra and Tacomas with 3-500k stock engines and transmissions.

I also used to be into panther platform cars and those went well over 300k on the transmissions. Even in taxi and livery use.

If it was almost all city miles I'd say it was decent for an economy car but for easy hwy miles 190k doesn't seen great.

But this is a cvt which I personally wouldn't trust over an automatic. At least not until they are more proven. I remember when Nissan started using them first in all their stuff and they were always having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I just read through the CVT portion of the service manual and never saw anything explaining the removal and replacement of the filter?!?
    I did too.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 07:56 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I also follow Toyota Tundra news as I have one and there is a million mile Tundra that was used as a hotshot delivery truck for the oil business. Used to haul and tow daily. The original automatic lasted until 770k miles when reverse went out.
    Tons of other tundra and Tacomas with 3-500k stock engines and transmissions.

I also used to be into panther platform cars and those went well over 300k on the transmissions. Even in taxi and livery use.

If it was almost all city miles I'd say it was decent for an economy car but for easy hwy miles 190k doesn't seen great.

But this is a cvt which I personally wouldn't trust over an automatic. At least not until they are more proven. I remember when Nissan started using them first in all their stuff and they were always having issues.
    I never said it was great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I never said it was great. But remember this is 10k econo car not a 60k toyota truck. That's kind of a ridiculous comparison. And for never having the transmission filter changed ever 190k isn't too bad. I'm curious if the tundra still has the original filter in the tranny or would it crap out at 200k as well if maintained the same?
    But we are expecting these to be lasting twice that. I'm hoping that if I change the filters once in a while along with all the extra fluid that pours out when the pan is pulled that the cvt should last much longer. Changing 2-3 quarts of fluid once in a while doesn't seem to do prevent failure as I'm pretty sure the case would be for most other transmissions.
    I'll be pulling the pans on a few other car's once I get the filters and gaskets and I'll post what I find.
    My tundra Was no where close to 60k but I understand what you're saying. Toyota uses a sealed trans. Saying the fluid is good for life (BS) I will eventually pump out the old and pump in new but not for a very long time.

Yeah I would bet if you swapped out the fluid it would have prolonged the life of that cvt. Keep us all posted as I think I speak for everyone, we all enjoy hearing about the fleet you maintain!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-20-2017),Fummins (09-21-2017)

My tundra Was no where close to 60k but I understand what you're saying. Toyota uses a sealed trans. Saying the fluid is good for life (BS) I will eventually pump out the old and pump in new but not for a very long time.

Yeah I would bet if you swapped out the fluid it would have prolonged the life of that cvt. Keep us all posted as I think I speak for everyone, we all enjoy hearing about the fleet you maintain!!
    I haven't touched a newer toyota yet, so you don't have a tranny pan or filter?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    How often was that CVT serviced? Nearly 200k miles is pretty good!
    I missed your post. kms.

Very unrelated but has anyone else gotten snow yet? It's coming down pretty good here right now!
    Condolences!*

I'm sitting outside in high 20's C (80's F) here in eastern Ontario. Looking forward to more fine sailing weather yet!

* (Unless of course you're into winter activities and looking forward to an early start. )

---

Thanks for sharing the CVT info. I added kms / miles to the thread title to give it a bit more context at a glance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Keep us all posted as I think I speak for everyone, we all enjoy hearing about the fleet you maintain!!
    +1 I don't own a Mirage but I'm interested in them and as Pryme said I too enjoy reading about the fleet & the maintenance you carry out on it.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I missed your post. It was drained and filled every 50-80k kms. I last changed it about 6000kms ago.
    This is probably a dumb question, but did you use Mitsubishi's transmission fluid? I read somewhere that using anything other than their fluid would cause issues. I don't know how true that is, but better safe than sorry.