Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Nice. Thanks for posting these pictures.

And if I remember correctly this was using a lubricant that was not Mitsubishi branded?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And while we're at it, I found an interesting CVT troubleshooting document.

Sonnax.com | CVT Success: In-Vehicle Isolation of Common Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnax.com | CVT Success: In-Vehicle Isolation of Common Problems | Bob Warnke | March 28, 2017

The following are examples of “runaway” assumptions:

• After pulling the pan for routine maintenance service on a unit with 40,000 miles, the technician finds the magnets heavily loaded when compared to a typical automatic. It looks like the unit is well on its way to failing.
    • After cleaning the magnets and refilling the unit with the correct CVT fluid, the car is test driven around the block. It works well and is ready for delivery.
    • Two days after picking up the car, the owner comes back claiming the vehicle has excess noise and seems to slip. Because of the material previously found on the magnets, the decision is made to pull the transmission.

Hold on, action-oriented enthusiast. Not so fast! If you want to be CVT-successful, you’ve got to know why these assumptions are incorrect. Once you have that information, you can get down to the business of learning some of the common CVT problems and their causes, all without removing the unit from the vehicle.

The first false assumption has to do with the magnets. A certain amount of magnetic fuzz is normal in a CVT inspected with 40 to 50 thousand miles. The push-belt links create fretting where they contact the sheave/pulley surface, most of which is generated during break-in. But in noting this material is normal, consider that much of that ferrous fuzz has been circulating throughout the valve body. It has embedded into the solenoids and stuck onto the speed sensors — all of which are electromagnets — while also scrubbing away at the aluminum valve bores. This means that the fuzz is indeed normal, but so is low-mileage valve bore wear.

The second incorrect assumption was that test driving the vehicle around the block after fluid exchange was sufficient. These units use a thermal element in the water-to-oil (WTO) cooler. The fluid must reach approximately 150°F for the element to open and flow oil to the cooler. Once it opens, air is purged, leaving the sump level low. Low fluid causes chain slip and noise on acceleration. Driving it in this low-fluid condition will end up damaging the unit and requiring a tow-in.

The third erroneous assumption was that the transmission needs to be pulled out. As we’ve just seen, committing to pulling the unit before verifying correct fluid level would be a mistake. There is no dipstick, and guessing what drained from the pan is not sufficient. You can buy a dipstick from Chrysler or aftermarket sources, or you can make your own. The transmission fill tube has an internal stop at the bottom. You can make a dipstick and place marks in 10mm increments starting at the bottom and moving upward. At 75°F, minimum/maximum fluid level must be 26mm to 38mm. At 180° F, minimum/maximum fluid level must be 38mm to 46mm.
    I didn't know CVTs shaved so much metal! I would guess that the filters can become pretty important - that is, if they are to catch what all the various magnets & solenoids don't get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Nes (02-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn't see anything else worn like that. But the rinky dink chain that runs the oil pump was pretty sloopy. The one speed sensor had some small shavings on it, and what looked like a small tooth from a gear. Attachment 9984Attachment 9985Attachment 9986
    That little chain is adorable lol. Is it a smaller link than a bicycle chain? Looks like it.

[QUOTE=Eggman;63450]Nice. Thanks for posting these pictures.

https://maktrans.net/Vkhodnoy-val-JF015E then be good til the oil pump chain snaps!
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 07:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right - I agree, and I didn't think it would cause this. More to point out that your oil seems to hold up okay.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I. I'll clean the valvebody, and buy one of these https://maktrans.net/Vkhodnoy-val-JF015E then be good til the oil pump chain snaps!
    Wow.

Great job!!
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 09-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Out of curiosity Fummins, how many km does your most run Mirage have? I'm curious how far we can be expected to run this car with regular maintenance. Considering you have many, I assume this CVT failure is an outlier.

Fummins: just want to say thanks again for the valuable info you provide -- not only in this thread. We're lucky to have you on the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-27-2017),Eggman (09-26-2017),Fummins (09-27-2017),miragefan17 (06-18-2020),Pryme (09-26-2017),Tyrelirwin (12-16-2018),wd40 (09-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Out of curiosity Fummins, how many km does your most run Mirage have? I'm curious how far we can be expected to run this car with regular maintenance. Considering you have many, I assume this CVT failure is an outlier.
    The car in question is their highest mileage one.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The car in question is their highest mileage one.
    Well, that's a bummer. To be fair, 304000 km in what at most could only be 3 years is quite a bit of stress haha