Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Oh, thank you for answering my question, and is always good to know the end result of the problem.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You mean after I replaced the transmission? Yes it's still good. No amount of filter changes were gonna fix the original cvt.
    Can it be speculated if this failure was lube/contaminant/filter related or simply a misalignment of parts due to engineering tolerance stacking?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maco35 View Post
    Is the transmission running ok after the oil/filters got replaced, no more issues?
    You mean after I replaced the transmission? Yes it's still good. No amount of filter changes were gonna fix the original cvt.
    Quote Originally Posted by maco35 View Post
    Oh, thank you for answering my question, and is always good to know the end result of the problem.
    Maybe I misunderstand you maco35, but it sound to me that you might be under the impression that Fummins replaced the filters and placed the transmission back in service - and I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

The original transmission was replaced. The filters were not replaced - the entire transmission was replaced. In fact, later on in the thread he discusses dismantling the failed transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wait so does that mean we need to replace the filter ever xx km? If yes, what's the recommended interval? Does first generation even have that filter on the CVT transmission? I think I read some guy actually don't even have a filter on their CVT tranny.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's a reasonable timeframe to change the fluid and filters in a seldom driven car would you guys think? Due to vehicle rotations it could take me many years to reach even 100k miles. I drove the Mirage a lot last summer because I never got my 83 grand Marquis inspected however with that back in the mix next year I'll probably drive it even less splitting it between 4 other cars. I mean 2006 Fusion just got past 65k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always had multiple vehicles in the road lol. People tend to look at me funny when I mention 15 year old card with like 60k Miles but that's what happens. Really it's mostly so if something breaks I can do my own maintenance but not be rushed to do major repairs so if I lose a car for a week because it takes a week to fix something wrong I'm not clamouring for a vehicle. I also have two summer only cars and at the moment am trying to stretch my 2001 f150 a few more by not driving it in winter anymore.

I've done mostly longish trips with the Mirage due to the gas mileage. However it'll be 2 years old and I have maybe 8k miles on it. Still last summer I never 83 grand Marquis in for inspection due to some home maintenance projects, so some of that mileage of just taking joyrides will be on that again this year so that'll shave another 1000-1500 miles off this year's total.

I don't want to change the thing too often or more so than necessary maybe once fairly early on to pick up any factory residue then every few years is what I was thinking. No real idea. If I drive it like my other cars it'll probably be redesigned enough that no one is going to know what a 2015 Mirage is in another 10 years

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I got the 2 cartridge filters in, they have a jatco number on the box: 317263XX0A which seems to be a nissan part number. Called the local nissan dealer and they sell it for less than half the price as Mitsubishi $9@nissan vs $20 at Mitsu. But they said there are none available in North America and they had no idea how long it would take to get one in.

Yeah if you look at the parts and what they fit the CVT on the mirage is the same CVT that has been on many nissans

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep the CVT in my 2012 Nissan Versa was a variation of the same CVT in my 2014 Mirage. You'd never know that driving the two cars though. The transmissions have completely different personalities. It's also a much more reliable transmission in the Mirage than the Versa.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently Mitsubishi did something right with their version of this CVT. Other than being lesser refined in operation, I really haven't heard any common reliability complaints.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just had another cvt fail. This time at 223xxxkms. When you put the car in gear it feels like the torque converter is locked up and the car stalls. Like trying to drive away in 5th gear in a manual. I changed both filters about a week ago. I posted the pics of them on another thread. They were black, just like the fluid was but there weren't any pieces of metal in the pan.
    I'll keep you posted what I find with this one.

How's things going with the fleet? If I'm following correctly, you've had 2 cvt failures out of almost 40? So around 5% failure rate so far..?