Thread: Well I've driven my new-to-me 2015 Mirage ES 1000K miles so far... my impressions...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Well I've driven my new-to-me 2015 Mirage ES 1000K miles so far... my impressions...

Just completed 1000k miles on my Mirage as of yesterday. Bought the car used with 24k miles. So far I am very pleased with the car, but there are a few cons. Here's my impressions so far:

Pros:
    -The car is not nearly as gutless as the pro reviewers say. Yes, it's slow off the line, but once up to speed it has plenty of passing and pulling power. I climb a pretty steep mountain on my way home everday, and it doesn't struggle one bit.

-Fit and finish is better than expected. Components are cheap, but the car seems very well put together.

-The handling really isn't too bad. Yes, lots of body roll, but I find the steering quite precise.

-Maneuverability is amazing. Never had a car with such a good turning radius. Parking is incredibly easy.

-I'm hitting 43MPG average on my commute. About 70% four-lane highway (no freeway) and about 30% stop and go. I'm pretty happy with that number.

-Love all the options it has for an economy car. Stereo is pretty good.

Cons:
    -I really don't like the seats. They are not the worst seats I've been in, but definitely not the best. They're not necessarily uncomfortable, but I find myself adjusting the seat height often to find a good "cruising" position. Feels like you sit more "on" the seats rather than "in" them. I'm pretty tall (6 feet) and I find myself leaning my left knee on the door quite a bit, just to feel more secure in the seat.

-The engine is pretty buzzy and lots of the engine noise enters the cabin. Not too noticeable until you put your foot down, but then it comes through a good bit. Also, engine/drivetrain vibrations you normally wouldn't hear in higher-end vehicles are pretty noticeable in this car.

-The CVT is weird. Sometimes it feels like a regular CVT, then sometimes it feels like it has gears? It's also really "herky jerky" with the AC on. Sometimes feels like it can't make up its mind on what it wants to do. I also don't like the "thunk" from the idle neutral logic when you come to a stop. I can deal with it. It just takes some getting used to.

Think that sums up my impressions so far!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miatakevin For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2017),MetroMPG (09-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you like it overall.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm also glad that you like it overall.

I'm going to get one with a manual transmission which will take out one of your big cons. As far as seats go ... I have never had a Japanese car that has had good seats, not my Toyota, not my Mazda, and now will be a Mitsubishi. I don't know why they don't give more thought to seat design. In my case, I need more lumbar support.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by miatakevin View Post
    -The handling really isn't too bad. Yes, lots of body roll, but I find the steering quite precise.
    I find that surprising to read, coming from someone whose other car is one of these.

So, no plans to modify your Mirage's suspension?

-The engine is pretty buzzy and lots of the engine noise enters the cabin. Not too noticeable until you put your foot down, but then it comes through a good bit. Also, engine/drivetrain vibrations you normally wouldn't hear in higher-end vehicles are pretty noticeable in this car.
    Just a note for people reading this in the future: the 2017 models have noticeably less drivetrain NVH in the cabin than the 2014/2015.

-The CVT is weird. Sometimes it feels like a regular CVT, then sometimes it feels like it has gears?
    That's because it has gears. It's got a 2-speeds subgearbox, plus the CVT stuff.

Thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

---

Thanks for posting the review. Glad you're enjoying the car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)