Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These 16 Cars Are Bucking America’s Anti-Car Trend in 2017

These 16 Cars Are Bucking America’s Anti-Car Trend in 2017

TTAC regularly reports on the trend of declining mid-size sedan and subcompact car segments in North America, and the rise of their SUV/CUV replacements.

Guess which little car is one of those bucking the trend?

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the Mitsubishi Mirage is up 5 percent, helped by the launch of a blisteringly hot and spicy Mirage G4 sedan. 2017 is set to be the fourth consecutive year of Mirage sales growth.
    Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ar-trend-2017/

The writer (Timothy Cain) can't resist being a little snarky whenever he mentions the Mirage. He has said elsewhere that he detests the car.

Clearly people spending their own, actual money on Mirages disagree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-01-2017),Daox (09-22-2017),Top_Fuel (09-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe it's because I now drive a sub-compact, but i see them literally everywhere. Although I see black Dodge Journeys everywhere too and I hate CUVs.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The writer (Timothy Cain) can't resist being a little snarky whenever he mentions the Mirage. He has said elsewhere that he detests the car.

Clearly people spending their own, actual money on Mirages disagree.
    Everywhere where there are customer reviews such as on cars.com, the Mirage gets 4-5 out of 5 stars. Clearly, people who own this car love this car. There just aren't many customers who trash the Mirage. I think the professional reviewers are just biased against small cars and especially hatchbacks. Well, that and inexpensive vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess if I were a professional reviewer, and got to drive almost everything under the sun, including high end imports and such, I guess I'd be relatively unimpressed by the sub compacts too
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my Mirage . . . but . . . I had the opportunity to drive a '98 4 cylinder Suzuki Swift recently and must say I had forgotten how nice steering with some heft and self-centering can feel. Even the lowly Swift with > 100K miles had better steering feel than my 2015 Mirage. And I think it was power assisted. One gets used to a car and I've grown used to the steering on the Mirage. It requires a lot of corrections on the highway which I never get completely used to, and when I drive another car, I realize how light and oddly non-self-centering the Mirage steering is. So, in that regard, I'd have to agree with the journalists. Timothy Cain is a tad snarky, but he's an equal opportunity snarkster and I enjoy his writing style because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    I guess if I were a professional reviewer, and got to drive almost everything under the sun, including high end imports and such, I guess I'd be relatively unimpressed by the sub compacts too
    After getting used to driving high end cars, being able to review a cheap car and evaluate it in its proper context is what separates a professional reviewer from an unprofessional one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forgot to say thanks for posting this article. I am very happy to hear that the Mirage made the list. I hope it keeps making inroads because I want 3 cylinder cars to be around forever. I think that small cars have a niche market and that this niche will remain no matter what the larger population will do. If we can entice a few of the others to buy a cheaper car (maybe for their son or daughter's first car), we've made progress. And if they try the car and like it, we've made further progress. Also, if history teaches us anything, gas prices won't remain what they are today. A substantial increase in gas prices will drive more people back to automobiles and some of them will buy sub-compacts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    A substantial increase in gas prices will drive more people back to automobiles and some of them will buy sub-compacts.
    Imagine selling your used Mirage for more than you paid lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Imagine selling your used Mirage for more than you paid lol.
    Hey, it happened with Geo Metros! When gas prices went up to $4 a gallon a few years ago, people were getting outrageous prices for old Metros.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always liked small cars. The other day I waited for a friend in the back seat of my G4 and realized I could actually sleep back there. I wish they will bring the Dacia Lodgy with 3 row seats and small engine.

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)