Thread: Can replacing drive belt affect timing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Can replacing drive belt affect timing?

My 2014 Mirage has 60K on it and the belt started squeaking when I first start it up so I had the belt replaced. Now it seems like I have 2 problems, when accelerating the belt squeaks slightly and I'm getting some slight pinging. I'm guessing the squeak might be from the belt not being tight enough but I'm concerned about the pinging. Does changing the belt affect the timing? I took a chance and had it changed at a 10 minute oil change place. Maybe not such a good idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    My 2014 Mirage has 60K on it and the belt started squeaking when I first start it up so I had the belt replaced. Now it seems like I have 2 problems, when accelerating the belt squeaks slightly and I'm getting some slight pinging. I'm guessing the squeak might be from the belt not being tight enough but I'm concerned about the pinging. Does changing the belt affect the timing? I took a chance and had it changed at a 10 minute oil change place. Maybe not such a good idea.
    If the belt is squeaking then it is either too loose (most likely) or too tight which could possibly cause the alternator bearings to make noise if it was severely over tightened. The belt has no effect on the Mirage's timing. The Mirage uses a timing chain. If you remove the oil filler cap and look down inside, you'll see the timing chain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The belt will not mess with the valve timing, so I think you have 2 issues..........

1) The belt needs tightened. They tend to stretch after first installation.

2) Pinging noise or valve clatter can come from low octane fuel or bad gas, but if it sounds more like a knock, you might want to check your oil and try to investigate the problem. See if the noise goes away after the belt is retightened and check for any loose alternator bolts and with the belt loose, spin the pulleys on the engine listening for noise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-03-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    You may want to look at the Belt tension How To, which describes the method to tighten it. Tension is determined by twanging it, a sound recording is included.
    See thread: Belt Tension, Howto

It should not ping with the correct fuel and correct plugs. The knock sensor is easily damaged by overtightening, dropping or banging it, but normally and without abuse it will last for ever.
    Last edited by foama; 02-08-2017 at 08:59 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I fixed it. I tightened it a little and the noise went away. Apparently what I thought was pinging was actually the belt slipping.

Thanks!!!

I found a website that shows how to tighten the belt, among other things.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/M...ide/index.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

I changed my belt shortly after buying my Mirage, in under a week I had to tighten it as it stretched a little(as expected). The other day as it was idling I heard a slight chirp at idle and tightened it a little more and it went away but as I drove it came back... I haven't remembered to tighten it up again but it's starting to get close to the end of the adjuster iirc. It makes the same noise whether ac and all accessories(loading up alternator) are on and off. I'll tighten it one more time then have to pull the belt and look for crap in stuck in the pulleys.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)