Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage EV conversion: getting everything working without the engine

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage EV conversion: getting everything working without the engine

ok so not what you guys are used to after reading a bunch of threads

i want to convert a 2013 mirage to electric.
    that said, i want all the original dash and eps and everything to work normally, so i need to trick the ecu in to thinking that the engine is running.
    so ill need a pulse generator for the speed sensor, resistor over the o2 sensor etc etc.
    how is the eps connected in to the ecu? can i just disconnect the eps controller and just give it some 12v?

was planning on removing the airbags and aircon to shave a bit of weight.

thankyou for any input!

ps i googled for a wiring diagram and didnt get any luck, so if you have a link it would really helpful!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Hello arklan and welcome to the forum.

That's going to be a great project! It'll be pretty ambitious for the reasons you mention - trying to figure out how to make it work with all the sensors, controllers, etcetera.

This reminds me of Mitsubishi's i-Miev. I wonder if that vehicle could be any sort of a guide as to how to approach doing this? I also wonder if Mitsubishi would ever replace these two platforms with one platform that would serve both forms of propulsion - internal combustion engine & electric? Other manufacturers have taken this route.

I'm definitely interested in your progress with this and look forward to reading more.

Again, welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Welcome! I'm interested in seeing this! What kind of batteries would you use? How are you going to get the power to the wheels? Would it be easiest to just hook an electric motor up to the stock manual transmission? I'm not positive but I think the eps might be speed sensitive(more assist at low speeds and less at higher?) I don't know if these links still work but there's a service manual for a 15' that might help.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ms-Mirage-2015

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    i found this to be exceptionally helpful! thankyou!
    at the moment i have an 83 suzuki hatch as my electric car, these things are basically coke cans on wheels.
    i havent got the mirage yet (looking at a mates one) and want to make sure its possible to get all this stuff going before i take the plunge.
    the alternative is to make a wiring loom from scratch that doesnt have any connection to any ecu, so everything will be run by its own relay and switches. will probably have to make my own cluster aswell. really dont want to have to do all this so heres hoping!

fyi: batteries are 48x 100ah 3.2v prismatic lithium batteries, motor is an impulse9 and controller is a zilla z1khv capable of 400hp (not doing 400hp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arklan For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't worry man the whole car steers and can be stopped without a battery in it. I never noticed if the brakes are vacuum assist? Must be some kinda assist

The speedo runs off the wheel speed sensors so you should have no trouble.

How are you planning to couple to the car? Via the transmission or something else, like a live axel?

The speedo runs off the transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It does no such thing.

5 speed has only has 1 electrical connection. neutral safety switch under the battery tray. Plus a few ground wires

90-102 and 90-103 in the manual shows it ran off wheel speed
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 09-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I suspect the CVT has more sensors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    the speedo working is one thing, what about the eps and id want to get in to the tacho to feed it a signal from the motor.
    thanks guys

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's all crank pickup based so weld the starwheel on the motor and uae thefactory crank pickup. Problem is tach id 8k rpm ... Are you using the transmission from the3car or no