Thread: Observing Used retail Mirages

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Observing Used retail Mirages

Living in NY we get our fair share of salt and chemical treatment I noticed some retailed used mirages 14 and 15 models are decently rusty underneath. So if anyone considers purchasing a used a mirage and plans to drive it to the ground have a mechanic check it out or look it over closely if your confident the rear wheel well area collects a lot of junk, on 2 used retail mirages the back suspensions really had a lot of rust I was surprised.

I'm sure a lot of corrosion is from ownership neglect but it's something to keep in mind if anyone looks at used Mirages.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (09-27-2017),Ranny (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used fluid film on our mirages when we bought them last year but never had any snow at the end of winter. This fall I will be applying fluid film again.
    My truck gets it too and with two winters it has not one spec of rust.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fluid Film great product
    http://www.fluid-film.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 52.5 mpg (US) ... 22.3 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 63.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wd40 For This Useful Post:

Pryme (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Fluid Film great product
    http://www.fluid-film.com/
    Says wd40. LOL

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not surprised our little car rusts easily. Haven't lived in an area where that's been a big concern for 30 years, but growing up I remember rust being a huge problem. I once looked at a used Peugeot that it could not be jacked up from anywhere. Bumper - fell off. Floor - jack went right through it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    Says wd40. LOL
    It's nothing like wd40. Research it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is troubling to me because I was hoping to get a Mirage that would last me well into the future. My Geo Metro was 15 years old when it died and while it had some rust, it was by no means rusted out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    This is troubling to me because I was hoping to get a Mirage that would last me well into the future. My Geo Metro was 15 years old when it died and while it had some rust, it was by no means rusted out.
    I don't see a Mirage rusting out any faster than a Metro. I haven't seen more than a few tiny rust spots on the hood from rock chip. And some superficial rust on the bottom of the trailing axle where the paint chipped off. These cars are holding up pretty good in my opinion despite having thin paint. But like DottandDolores said, the wheel wells do collect a lot of junk. Mainly the front lower part of the rear wheel wells.
    If buying used get a carfax or similar report to avoid buying something that came from a place that uses tons of salt or calcium chloride on the roads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-28-2017)