Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    To get the most fuel mileage out of any car, it helps to know exactly what the computer is doing with respect to fuel delivery. Unfortunately, the "instant mpg" display in the Mirage is only updated every 30 seconds or so and doesn't provide the immediate feedback that really helps you learn how to drive the car for maximum fuel mileage.

I recommend using something like a Scangauge or similar device that provides instant mpg feedback as you drive. After a few days of driving while monitoring instant mpg feedback and you will quickly learn how your car responds to certain driving situations. A device like this is well worth the price, especially considering the other functions that it offers like gauges, OBDII code scanning/clearing, etc.
    I'm interested in getting the most out of my car short of "hypermiling" because I want to drive normally. By normally I mean that I am conscious of my driving habits, but I'm not obsessing over hypermiling. I do accelerate slowly whenever I can and, for the Mirage, I keep the ECO light always on.

Thank you for the Scangauage link. I will consider it, but I'm afraid that such a gauge would lead to me obsessing over getting the absolute best mpg and destroy my enjoyment of the car. I bought the 3 cylinder Mirage specifically so I didn't have to think too hard about getting the best mpg. My Fiat, on the other hand, is not the best but gets reliably 36-38 mpg so I've already got that beat by 10 mpg. I'm not going for super high mileage for the Mirage. I'd be extremely happy if I could get reliably 48-52 mpg. That would make it nearly equivalent to my old Metro.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    One thing I learned is that I get better mpg on long trips than on shorter trips.
    That's normal:

- engine is in closed loop mode (runs rich, idles higher) until the coolant gets to operating temp;
    - rolling resistance is higher on cool tires;
    - driveline drag is higher (from cold trans oil, driveline bearings)

Best to combine trips when possible and drive to the furthest destination first instead of doing multiple short trips.

Keep in mind: with colder weather setting in, your MPG is probably going to start falling, even when your driving style/patterns don't change. Cold weather exaggerates all of the above, plus there are a bunch more reasons: 9 reasons why your winter fuel economy bites

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I'm interested in getting the most out of my car short of "hypermiling" because I want to drive normally. By normally I mean that I am conscious of my driving habits, but I'm not obsessing over hypermiling. I do accelerate slowly whenever I can and, for the Mirage, I keep the ECO light always on.

Thank you for the Scangauage link. I will consider it, but I'm afraid that such a gauge would lead to me obsessing over getting the absolute best mpg and destroy my enjoyment of the car. I bought the 3 cylinder Mirage specifically so I didn't have to think too hard about getting the best mpg. My Fiat, on the other hand, is not the best but gets reliably 36-38 mpg so I've already got that beat by 10 mpg. I'm not going for super high mileage for the Mirage. I'd be extremely happy if I could get reliably 48-52 mpg. That would make it nearly equivalent to my old Metro.
    I have the scangauge E and I don't obsess over it ever. I have not touched it in 2mo now lol. I set it half a dozen times when I filled up to get it accurate and keep it on instant mpg and coolant temp. I love it shows coolant temp, much more telling than the basic gauge on the cluster. For instance. I can tell you the green temp light turns off at exactly 138deg everytime. And the mirage typically runs at 191-193deg but I've seen it as high as 198deg but it quickly drops down.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I have the scangauge E and I don't obsess over it ever.
    Me, too. I only use my Scangauge II as a monitor. I never touch it, reset it for fuel mileage, etc. I have mine set up to read instant fuel economy, coolant temperature, intake air temperature, and volts. The Mirage has no useful instrumentation beyond a tachometer, so I like having voltmeter and temperature gauges available all the time.

The instant mpg just helps you identify the scenarios that hurt your fuel economy and those that help. I'm not a hardcore hyper-miler, but I do follow basic driving habits that lead to maximum fuel economy.

If the average person drives a Mirage without any regard for fuel mileage, they are probably never going to see average mpg numbers (over time) beyond the low 40s. Averaging 48mpg+ in a Mirage over time will require a little bit of effort, but not over-the-top hyper-miling. The guys getting 60+ mpg are doing more extreme stuff.

If you rode in my Mirage with me driving, the only thing you would ever notice is that I get passed a lot on the freeway.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-20-2017 at 01:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Pryme (10-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I found today Speck gets in the 200℉ range after a full throttle run (I don't get on freeways very often.)

I watch a bunch of operating parameters including coolant temperature, intake air temperature, instant fuel economy, throttle & pedal position.

I recently added short term fuel trim after reading about it here on the forum and learning more online. Fun times.

I think bolo has a point - no need to be distracted, that's for sure. Still, I have learned a lot watching what's going on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Theres ZERO chance ide be getting the MPG i am without the ultra gauge (knockoff scangauge)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also have volts and intake temp and cost per trip and all those set too but scangauge E only displays 2 per screen.
    I got it only because it was on special for 79 bucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will look into the scanguage/Ultra guage. The only other reason I'm hesitant is that it sounds difficult to install.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, I located the company website of Scanguage E on the web and apparently it is very easy to install.

Where do you guys mount it in the car?

How do you use it to maximize fuel economy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I use an OBDLink with my phone.

Here is the website: OBDLink® LX Bluetooth

No wires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-20-2017)