Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't go today, but I'm going tomorrow. I may or may not buy one and I might go the internet negotiation route. Certainly, I am prepared to walk out. But I've got to get my hands on the SE to see if that is a car that I could live with or if I would be better off just going with an ES.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Have you taken one for a test drive?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also because you are paying cash you DO NOT want to tell them that before agreeing on a price first. Negotiate the price FIRST then tell them at the very end oh yeah I'm paying cash. Boom.

I did that with my Elantra. I could tell they didn't like it but oh well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Also because you are paying cash you DO NOT want to tell them that before agreeing on a price first. Negotiate the price FIRST then tell them at the very end oh yeah I'm paying cash. Boom.

I did that with my Elantra. I could tell they didn't like it but oh well.
    Thanks! I didn't realize that. I thought they would be happy that I would be paying cash. I'll do my best to try not to tell them, but not sure how to answer if they ask me up front. (The used dealer where I bought my Fiat did ask up front.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you taken one for a test drive?
    No. That will happen tomorrow when I decide between the SE and the ES.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to put my two cents worth in, I love the push button start on my 17 SE. I've had 4 cars (3 Mirages and a Ford Escape) so far with pushbutton start and would never want to go back to key start if I didn't have to. I didn't think I would like it when I got the first one but it grows on you fast. No trouble at all with any of those cars.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-29-2017),Pryme (09-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Just to put my two cents worth in, I love the push button start on my 17 SE. I've had 4 cars (3 Mirages and a Ford Escape) so far with pushbutton start and would never want to go back to key start if I didn't have to. I didn't think I would like it when I got the first one but it grows on you fast. No trouble at all with any of those cars.
    Completely agree. The F.A.S.T. key is great, and I have had no trouble with it. Back when I bought my '15 ES I would have opted out of the F.A.S.T. key system if I could have gotten the rest of the ES package without it. I am glad that wasn't possible.

Most of the issues with the system posted about here are related to dead batteries in the key fobs. Replace the $4 battery and you are good to go. My car is used for delivery and is started/stopped probably a hundred times on a busy day. Not one hiccup in 75,000 miles.

I understand the feeling of wariness among people who have never had it, but keyless ignition is 1990s technology. There really are no bugs left to work out of it.

My only problem with it is the $400 replacement keys should I lose one.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-29-2017),Pryme (09-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    And the intent is the key fob should stay in your pocket. So long as it stays in your pocket, there's much less chance of it getting lost.

I really appreciate pushing a button to open my door(s) and starting the engine - it's a great convenience. Rumors of faulty operation are just that (rumors). Any problems are usually caused by either a weak battery or radio interference - exactly as what's described in the owner's manual. Download a copy of the owner's manual online and see for yourself. If you need a copy, ask and we'll help. Keyless operation is a great feature and I recommend it.

As Cobrajet said, the F.A.S.T. key is little different from an ordinary transponder key, which must provide a registered security code to the engine immobilizer before allowing an engine start.

All that to say don't shy away from the FAST key - you'll probably like it.

Regarding your dealer visit, consider separating your test drive from negotiating. I'm going to guess that you are pretty much decided on a Mirage. A test drive can be a pretty straightforward process, as there are some things you would want to pay attention to and questions you would want answered.

Dealers know buying a car can be an emotional experience, and use that as a way to talk folks into a car that might not be suitable. There's a thread here that covers this - the Mirage is a 'buy with your head' kind of a car.

So get your test drive out of the way first. Then, as all the other solid advice here has offered, call or email dealerships and get your best offer.

Financing is a lucrative business. That's why auto manufacturers have their own financing. When you call for pricing, there is no need to discuss financing as you just want the dealer's best price. And when getting their best price, ask that financing be discussed later as you only want to focus on vehicle price for now. There is no need at this point to say if you'll be financing with them or not. And be sure to get pricing that includes all fees & taxes - the out-the-door price. It's the only fair way to shop around.

These days, most dealers have what they might call an 'internet sales' department - someone who handles negotiating for online purchases.

Sales people work on commission, and are paid to talk people into a sale. You can eliminate this by calling or emailing.

By calling you can get an impression of the folks you will be dealing with. There is less interaction by email, and in my estimation more of a chance of getting caught up with a pushy or slimeball salesperson. So I say call and talk to a person.

You are in Ohio. Me too. I bought my Mirage from Sunnyside Mitsubishi in Middleburg Heights not too far from the Cleveland Hopkins airport. If you are in the Cleveland area, they get my recommendation for sales and service.

I test drove my Mirage months before I bought it. I liked the size and felt it had enough room for my needs. My use has proven that. Same with engine power. The biggest deciding factors were fuel economy and reliability and so far, this car has really exceeded.

Those decisions can be tough - this forum really helped me out. Other owners who have shared their experience made my decision much easier. (Thanks all!)

Once I was certain and knew I wanted to buy a Mirage, I started calling about five area dealers and asked for their best price for a 2015 ES (Edmunds suggests using the term 'asking price'.) This was at a time of big rebates as the 2017s were coming in. I narrowed my list down to two dealers whose pricing was very close. In the end, I chose Sunnyside over Mentor Mitsubishi as I felt the person I spoke with at Mentor was using sales tactics unnecessarily.

Before, during and after the sale, Sunnyside has taken care of me. Give them a call.

Well really, I haven't had to use them much.

Take some time to read the Edumnds article called Behind the Scenes at a Car Dealership - it's a good read.

Best wishes. Let us know how it goes, and we all will look forward to your new garage entry.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-29-2017 at 09:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-29-2017),poorman1 (10-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread. I really appreciate it.

Well, I'm off. It will be an interesting adventure today.

Best of luck. I want live tweet updates!

Here's hoping your faith in humanity isn't shattered by the dealership experience by the end of the day!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)