Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

I'm planning to make a trip to the dealer either late today or tomorrow (more likely). I plan to get a 2017 model since I want a manual transmission, and they are asking the full list price for the 2018 ES models. They are asking about 2 thousand below list price for the 2017 models. I have a couple questions.

1. Does anyone have any advice or successful experiences as to negotiating tactics?

2. How much can I reasonably expect them to shave off the asking price for these cars?

I have gone back and forth between the ES model and the SE model and have tentatively decided on the SE model even though I don't like the push button start or the automatic air conditioner. I want that backup camera. But I will look at an ES model just for good measure.

Wish me luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This is my approach. It requires the least amount of time at the dealer and absolutely no dealer BS negotiation on their home court (which usually isn't good for most buyers).

If you are a serious buyer and know the specific model you want, there's no reason to step onto a dealership lot until you have price in stone (on a purchase order) from the dealer. Do any negotiations via email. Not phone calls...not a visit to the dealership...stick to email. This has a couple of advantages: Everything is in writing, and you have time to carefully consider everything you are saying...and everything the dealer is saying to you.

Again...this assumes you know exactly the stock number vehicle you want at the dealer...and that you don't have a trade-in. If you are trading a car in, then you pretty much have to go to the dealer to do their song-and-dance.

Negotiate your best deal through email, then ARRANGE FINANCING AHEAD OF TIME AND NOT THROUGH THE DEALER! This is important because your lender will REQUIRE the dealer to create an official purchase order (PO) and send it to you (or your lender). The PO is a non-negotiable document with the bottom line numbers on it. If you don't like something on the PO, you simply email the salesperson and tell them. If you use this approach, you will NEVER get burned or blind-sided by unexpected fees, extended warranty BS or other add-ons.

When I bought my Mirage I had a firm deal (or so I thought) using this method, but the first PO they sent me had some excessive doc fees on it that I refused to pay. They took them off and sent me another PO that was perfectly fine. This would have been a big cluster at the dealer. But I was doing everything from my keyboard so I was perfectly relaxed...and even enjoying it a little.

I bought my Mirage from a dealer 300 miles away. Everything was negotiated via email and I had a Purchase Order in my hand before I left my house. I drove to the dealer with a letter from my credit union, did about 15 minutes of paperwork, and drove away. Total time at the dealer start to finish: about 35 minutes. Of course it helps when the dealer is reputable...which my dealer was. They were also used to out-of-state customers so this transaction was not unusual for them.

How much can I reasonably expect them to shave off the asking price for these cars?
    If you are asking this question, you probably aren't ready to buy a Mirage in the next 48 hours and get a good deal at the same time.

A quick way to see what other dealers are doing is to go to cars.com, search for new Mirages, and then sort them from least expensive to most expensive. That will give you a rough idea how good (or bad) your deal may be looking at. Just remember that some of the prices you see may not include some dealer fees.

You may have to drive to get the bast deal. I had to do a 600 mile round trip, but I got the exact model I wanted at a much lower price than any dealers around me.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-28-2017 at 03:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-28-2017),Daox (09-28-2017),MetroMPG (09-28-2017),poorman1 (10-21-2017),Pryme (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know this isn't what you Asked but,

Ide stay away from the PB start fastkey stuff. Seems more trouble then it's worth, being responsible for a large majority of the "help" type threads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    never negotiate on Monthly payment. 2k off the price is not bad, but it could be just a rebate. Usually a good deal is 10 percent bellow MSRP with tax and all fees. 20% bellow MSRP with all the tax and fees is great deal.

Also go online and get a quote for it and use that when you go in. My 14 Mirage DE I got for 11750 plus tax, and my 17 G4 Es I got for 12750 plus tax in SOCal
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BTW, what dealership you want to get this done? Also doing to another dealership that is further away might save you few more dollars, or use them to bid each other
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have spent the last 2 months on cars.com, and the dealership I'm going to has the lowest prices in a 150 mile radius. So I know the price is already pretty low though maybe not the lowest in the country. I see people here (on the forum) getting ES models for below $9000. Is that reasonable to expect? I know it depends on how motivated the seller is, but I just don't know where to start. I've only bought 4 cars in my life. The best deal I got by walking out of the dealership and the salesman came chasing after finally giving me my price.

I've never negotiated by email ... I have to think about that. I really want to see the car I'm buying in person as opposed to on cars.com. But that is an idea ... .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi dealerships that have manual transmissions in stock are all pretty far away from me, and there is a limit as to how far I'm willing to drive. I'd rather not give the name of the dealership on the forums.

I should also say that I'm not financing. I am buying the car outright.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    try cargurus.com and trucar.com

negotiating by email is only setting the price, does not mean you don't see the car. The best price is thru the internet since its a manager usually that take in calculation all option before he send you a price. That involves dealer invoice, manufacturer hold back, kickbacks to dealer for making a quota for the end of the month.

sent ya a pm
    Last edited by remusrm; 09-28-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I know this isn't what you Asked but,

Ide stay away from the PB start fastkey stuff. Seems more trouble then it's worth, being responsible for a large majority of the "help" type threads.
    I don't like the PB fastkey either. But I want the backup camera. The only alternative would be to get a 2018 ES which has a regular key and a backup camera. But I think it would be insanity to pay several thousand dollars more for a 2018 model just to avoid the PB Fastkey.

What about getting a 17' es and installing an aftermarket backup camera?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-28-2017)