Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Preliminarily, I'm getting 45 MPG as the car is telling me under Trip "A". It's going to be a while until I know the whole truth. The car was full or nearly full when I took delivery so I have to use up that gas and then fill it up again and let it fall before I can even begin to measure the MPG at the pump.

Maybe I'm wrong about the "A" part.

Last edited by bolo; 10-01-2017 at 11:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Pump up your tires for even more fuel savings.

Definitely worth the price for this little change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-02-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It might be better than 45 MPG in actuality. When I was driving home on Friday, the interstate was a parking lot due to a lot of construction and it being Friday rush hour. So it was stop-and-go for over an hour. If I got up to 15 MPH, I thought I was whizzing along. So that, I'm sure, is factored into the gas mileage computer.

EDIT: I was wrong when I first posted this. According to the manual, if the ignition is off for more than 4 hours, the information resets. So 45 MPG was my gas mileage for just today. Wow, I was hoping for better results since I live in a rural area, and I don't drive very aggressively. I guess I will be pumping up my tires.
    Last edited by bolo; 10-02-2017 at 03:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    It might be better than 45 MPG in actuality. When I was driving home on Friday, the interstate was a parking lot due to a lot of construction and it being Friday rush hour. So it was stop-and-go for over an hour. If I got up to 15 MPH, I thought I was whizzing along. So that, I'm sure, is factored into the gas mileage computer.

EDIT: I was wrong when I first posted this. According to the manual, if the ignition is off for more than 4 hours, the information resets. So 45 MPG was my gas mileage for just today. Wow, I was hoping for better results since I live in a rural area, and I don't drive very aggressively. I guess I will be pumping up my tires.
    I think 45 mpg is a very reasonable result. First of all, the car is only rated 42 mpg on the highway so why would you expect to get way more then that? Secondly, the engine is not broken in yet. If 45 is the true number, I'd say you are doing pretty darn good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    I think 45 mpg is a very reasonable result. First of all, the car is only rated 42 mpg on the highway so why would you expect to get way more then that? Secondly, the engine is not broken in yet. If 45 is the true number, I'd say you are doing pretty darn good.
    Do these cars tend to get better mileage once they get broken in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do these cars tend to get better mileage once they get broken in?
    Yes, and the improvement is noticeable.

I got 41 mpg on my drive home from the dealer that first day, and that was with low air pressure in my tires I believe because the car sat on the lot for so long. You have already beat that.

I'm pretty sure you are familiar with the fuel economy results forum members here brag about, and you probably know about the forum Fuel Economy Log feature, with a link at the top of every page. There is a broad range of results - some drive their Mirage for economy, some don't.

Mitsubishi did a good job designing this car for economy. Still, there are some modifications and techniques a driver can use to improve on it. Some of the best ones for this car cost little to nothing. When you are ready, take a look at this thread: Suggestions for tame eco mods for ideas on how to proceed.

For now, it might be enough with your first tank of gas to simply get used to owning and enjoying your new Mirage. Consider it as establishing a baseline to improve on.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-02-2017 at 09:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, you might be more right than you know about blowing up the tires. I got a low tire pressure warning this morning.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    One of the best things I did for my '15 ES manual is swap out the original factory fill gear oil in the transmission for Redline MTL. Big, big difference in how it shifts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-02-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, you might be more right than you know about blowing up the tires. I got a low tire pressure warning this morning.
    I use a bicycle floor pump with a built-in gauge lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    One of the best things I did for my '15 ES manual is swap out the original factory fill gear oil in the transmission for Redline MTL. Big, big difference in how it shifts.
    I think I'll do this soon. It seems that my 5-speed is shifting with more ease now that it's past 12,000 miles and maybe it's time to replace the factory lubricant (and all the shavings lol.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do find that my Mirage doesn't shift as smoothly as I might like, but for some reason, I haven't had a problem with it. It shifts ok for me. The only problem that I run into now and then is determining when I'm in neutral because with every car I've ever had the stick moved back and forth really easily in neutral but no so with the Mirage. I have noticed something, though, that I might post a topic about in the technical section if I notice it again today.

I have made a garage entry with a couple of pictures if you are interested.