Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I've never negotiated by email ... I have to think about that. I really want to see the car I'm buying in person as opposed to on cars.com.
    Look...you can still use this approach even if you're buying from a dealer that's 5 minutes from your house. I spent plenty of time looking at Mirages at a local Mitsubishi dealer...I just didn't go when they were open. Once I knew the specific model/transmission/color I wanted, then it was just a matter of finding the best deal within a reasonable distance.

When I bought my Mirage, the sales guy knew when I was coming to do the paperwork. He already had it cleaned up and sitting in front of the showroom ready for me to inspect before we did any paperwork. For me, the worst case scenario was that something was wrong with the car and I would have to drive back home in my rental car.

I've purchased my last 4 cars this way and it's the only way I'll do it from now on. I will never sit in another dealership across the desk from a sales guy and his manager playing the "What's it gonna take to get you in this car today?" game.

On another note...

Cruise control was a must-have item...so the base model was out for me. I know it can be added, but it still requires $200 of parts and a bunch of programming grief. In the end, I felt the extra $1,300 for all the extras was well-spent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    DO you have Mitsu curently? I think you might be able to get the 18 Mirage ES hatch for around 12750 since it has a small rebate, military and loyalty rebate too. If you keep the car for long, its worth spending a tad more for what you want!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some 17s have the camera pkg and its a mirror screen... might find that around!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What about getting a 17' es and installing an aftermarket backup camera?
    That is something I'm seriously considering. I've looked at those aftermarket backup cameras and they're pretty cheap ($200 or less). But I've also looked at photos of the interior of the ES, and it looks kind of busy. Not sure where to place the screen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What about getting a 17' es and installing an aftermarket backup camera?
    My thought, too.

No point getting stuff that you don't want, and which you may even find slightly irritating, when good aftermarket options exist. You could arguably get a higher quality aftermarket option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    DO you have Mitsu curently? I think you might be able to get the 18 Mirage ES hatch for around 12750 since it has a small rebate, military and loyalty rebate too. If you keep the car for long, its worth spending a tad more for what you want!
    I don't qualify for any rebates. This will be my first Mitsubishi and I'm not military. Also, the manual 2018's are quite a bit farther from me, and the dealers are asking list price. Closer to me are 2018's with CVTs, but a CVT is a deal killer for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here's what the NADA site says about the Mitsubishi loyalty rebate...which is kind of interesting...

Returning Mitsubishi buyers will be welcomed back to the brand with a $500 loyalty bonus.
    Uniquely enough, Mitsubishi's customer loyalty rebate is also eligible for current owners of discontinued United States auto brands Saturn, Suzuki, Scion and Isuzu.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-28-2017),MetroMPG (09-28-2017)

Brand-less migrants!

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses ..."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Here's what the NADA site says about the Mitsubishi loyalty rebate...which is kind of interesting...
    Thanks, but unfortunately, I never owned any of those cars either unless one can wiggle around and say that a Geo Metro was a Suzuki.

My cars have been: Geo Metro, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, and now I'm driving a 2012 Fiat 500. I don't really want to trade in the Fiat because Fiats, like Mirages, depreciate fast.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also negotiated both of my 2017 mirage SE 5spds online with a dealer about 270mi from our home.

I negotiated with mainly 3 dealers and went with the best deal of the 3. I had them fax over the final breakdown of money and after saying flat out in not looking for any surprises we drove out and spent about 90min at dealer as they had to detail both cars and we left happy.

I'd Never walk into a dealership and deal on a car on their lot.

Also, a good dealer can trade for a car you want anywhere in the county and bring it to your local dealer. Just food for thought. We didn't do that because we had family to visit near the dealer we bought from anyway.

Good luck and post pics if you get one.

Just be prepared to walk out if they try to mess with you

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-29-2017),poorman1 (10-21-2017)