Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Today or tomorrow I might buy my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Ok, I located the company website of Scanguage E on the web and apparently it is very easy to install.

Where do you guys mount it in the car?

How do you use it to maximize fuel economy?
    It's easier than making a peanut butter sandwich. All you do is plug it in.
    I mounted mine on the dash far left corner basically.
    I ran the wire down under the rubber strip moulding and along the crease of the dash/door and cleanly up under dash to obd port. The excess wiring I bundled in a zip tie and tucked it into the kick panel, that small panel where your left foot sits, to the left of your foot.

Easy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Where do you guys mount it in the car?
    In my other cars, the Scangauge was always able to sit on top of my steering column right in front of the speedometer/tach. This doesn't work in the Mirage too well as it covers up important things...like the fuel gauge! I thought about it for a while and ended up installing it INTO the instrument panel. I know it sounds extreme, but it only takes about 30 minutes, the wire to the OBDII port is completely hidden, and it doesn't require the use of tape/glue/velcro to hold it in place. This way it becomes part of the instrument panel and it's always in my line of sight.

I've been meaning to put together a write-up on how I did it. I will do that this weekend. Here are a few pics of what it looks like... (notice the different instantaneous mpg readouts on my Scangauge for the situation I was in at the time)

Name:  Scan1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  84.4 KB
    Name:  Scan2.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  Scan3.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  88.7 KB

If you watch the instantaneous mpg reading in various situations, you will figure out the driving behavior which gets you the best mileage in a given situation. Some of the things are obvious (like driving around with your climate control on AUTO all the time isn't very good for fuel mileage). If you want to average 48+ mpg in normal driving, you'll need to spend a lot of time with the instantaneous mpg reading well above that number.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-20-2017),bolo (10-20-2017),Marklovski (10-21-2017),MetroMPG (10-21-2017),MightyMirageMpg (10-21-2017),precisionxt (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Example 1: Windows open or AC on
    Example 2: Uphill in 4th or 5th
    Example 3: Coast in gear or neutral
    Etcetera...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you guys! Those posts are extremely helpful to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do I need to buy an OBD splitter cable if I want to have both the ScanGuage and the built-in (Mitsubishi) trip computer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Do I need to buy an OBD splitter cable if I want to have both the ScanGuage and the built-in (Mitsubishi) trip computer?
    No. The only time you might need to disconnect the ScanGauge from the OBDII port is when you actually have to run a vehicle diagnostic for a Check Engine Light or something. The MID (Multi-Information Display) in the instrument cluster is it's own thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CarBuyingTips.com recommended to everyone!

I spent years as one of the Top 20 car salesmen in the US for one particular import brand. I'm now retired. For the last 20 years or so of my career I continually recommended (and still do) Jeff Ostroff's website CarBuyingTips.com to every prospect or customer I ever met. I told them if they would bother to spend a couple of hours reading the free information on Jeff's site; then they would probably end up knowing more about car buying and dealer shenanigans than the vast majority of car salesman in the US. Too bad that most consumers spend more time planning their annual vacation than they do their next vehicle purchase.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I spent years as one of the Top 20 car salesmen in the US for one particular import brand. I'm now retired. For the last 20 years or so of my career I continually recommended (and still do) Jeff Ostroff's website CarBuyingTips.com to every prospect or customer I ever met. I told them if they would bother to spend a couple of hours reading the free information on Jeff's site; then they would probably end up knowing more about car buying and dealer shenanigans than the vast majority of car salesman in the US. Too bad that most consumers spend more time planning their annual vacation than they do their next vehicle purchase.
    How did you come to the conclusion you were in the top 20 of all car salesman in the country? Is their a list somewhere?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    In my other cars, the Scangauge was always able to sit on top of my steering column right in front of the speedometer/tach. This doesn't work in the Mirage too well as it covers up important things...like the fuel gauge! I thought about it for a while and ended up installing it INTO the instrument panel. I know it sounds extreme, but it only takes about 30 minutes, the wire to the OBDII port is completely hidden, and it doesn't require the use of tape/glue/velcro to hold it in place. This way it becomes part of the instrument panel and it's always in my line of sight.

I've been meaning to put together a write-up on how I did it. I will do that this weekend. Here are a few pics of what it looks like... (notice the different instantaneous mpg readouts on my Scangauge for the situation I was in at the time)

Name:  Scan1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  84.4 KB
    Name:  Scan2.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  Scan3.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  88.7 KB

If you watch the instantaneous mpg reading in various situations, you will figure out the driving behavior which gets you the best mileage in a given situation. Some of the things are obvious (like driving around with your climate control on AUTO all the time isn't very good for fuel mileage). If you want to average 48+ mpg in normal driving, you'll need to spend a lot of time with the instantaneous mpg reading well above that number.
    That requires permanent cutting of the cars dash though. I guess if you know without question you will drive it til the end it's not a big deal, but it wouldn't look good upon resale with that huge chunk cut out of the dash. Just my opinion.

It looks pretty easy to replace the speedo bezel, could pick up a used one on the cheap from a wrecker or epay.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)