Thread: Ford cancels the Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0t option in the U.S.

Ford cancels the Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0t option in the U.S.

Name:  2014-ford-fiesta-sedan.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  52.0 KB

This is too bad. I would still like to try one of these cars, but they've always been as rare as hens teeth, and they're about the get even more rare...

From The Truth About Cars...

... the decision to axe the 1.0-liter was “based on customer demand.”

Ford never released specific sales results for the EcoBoost Fiesta, but early on the company was pleased when the engine accounted for roughly the same percentage of Fiesta output as the ST: roughly 4 to 8 percent. A particularly high percentage of the cars were sold in California.

... Based on the ratio Ford achieved early on in its tenure, that could be fewer than 2,000 Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoosts over the course of a calendar year.
    (Meanwhile, U.S. Mirage sales are on track for their 4th consecutive yearly increase.)

One of the oddest things is that Ford never offered an automatic option. You could only get the Fiesta 1.0 with a manual, and that's pretty much a death sentence for any U.S. model.

The Focus 1.0 will still be available, though. (And you can get it with an auto.)

Source / full article: Mournful Glances: Carryover 2018 Ford Fiesta Loses the $995 Three-cylinder EcoBoost Engine Option

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I didn't realize these were so closely rated in fuel economy. I wonder what real-world fuel economy a 1.0 Fiesta can get?

Name:  fiesta.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  61.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I wonder too. Let's have a look at Fuelly...

I filtered on the 2015 model year, 1.0L engine:

37.4 MPG US

Based on data from 23 vehicles, 817 fuel-ups and 306,382 miles of driving, the 2015 Ford Fiesta gets a combined Avg MPG of 37.44 with a 0.64 MPG margin of error.
    One US owner is averaging 50 MPG over 70+ fill ups, and there are a handful in the 40's.

Link with image of MPG distribution: http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fiest...=&submodel_id=

Meanwhile, 79 manual Mirage 1.2L drivers are averaging 45 mpg, according to our fuel log. 1.0L Mirage/Space Star drivers (3 of them) are averaging the same: http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage-stats.php

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a shame They're killing it, it Seems like Something that should've caught on in the US. Almost every auto-x event I've been too the leader in my class has been... "Fiesta st" and if you bought a 1.0t put on the fist upgrades it would be quite the cool little package

http://www.stangtv.com/news/for-abou...-lot-of-power/

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Most Ford Fiesta owners that I know have automatic transmission problems. I wonder if this issue has been resolved.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I didn't realize these were so closely rated in fuel economy. I wonder what real-world fuel economy a 1.0 Fiesta can get?
    The focus is heavier and more planted than the mirage. Can't believe that the 1.0t gets just as good MPG in real world.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The EcoBoost 1.0T was a rather expensive option compared to just getting the standard 1.6 four-cylinder, and the trim levels it was available with were very limited. If you wanted the 1.0T you pretty much had to buy a stripper base model car AND get the manual transmission. No automatic was offered with the 1.0T.

I am sure these were compromises most new Fiesta owners just didn't want to make...especially with the around $2.00-a-gallon gas prices we have had for the last several years.

Like with GM and the Geo Metro, Ford's timing with the 1.0T was just unfortunate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ agreed.

Plus, the recent loaner fiesta that I got was pretty peppy already with the 1.6
    I just can't get over the cup holder on the door that would rub on my clutch-foot.
    Seating wasnt as comfy as the mirage too.

I may not mind if fiestaST though...