Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine cooler drain plug

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Engine cooler drain plug

Hye i am planning to change my radiator fluid. Been looking into the service manual on the coolant drain plug, they show a diagram where it is,some where next to the driveshaft but i couldnt locate it. Have any u guys had flushing your engine coolant before? May i knw where the exact location of the drain plug is, thanks!

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Name:  Screenshot_2017-10-01-18-19-02.jpg
Views: 4499
Size:  90.6 KB

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dgiarazza For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-01-2017),Eggman (10-01-2017),inuvik (10-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If anyone has done it, I would be curious to see how much grief is involved with removing that drain plug in the block. That is not something you normally do when replacing anti-freeze. Note that the block plug has a gasket which the service manual says to replace when the plug is removed...

This car has such a small coolant capacity, I will probably just drain the radiator, refill with distilled water, drive the car...and then repeat the process once or twice more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-01-2017),dgiarazza (10-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This car has such a small coolant capacity...
    Unless it has the CVT with heat exchanger. I would expect coolant changes for those would have more steps for a full flush & drain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (10-03-2017)

It doesn't look too hard to get to. But I'm not doing it. The plug is right above the oil drain plug next to the catalytic converter. Attachment 10012

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (10-03-2017),Top_Fuel (10-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It doesn't look too hard to get to. But I'm not doing it.
    Thanks for the pic!

Yeah...I think I'll pass on that one, too. With my luck the plug would leak...and it just looks like that is going to drain about a cup of water out of the block. I'll stick with draining and refilling the radiator a couple of times with distilled water to flush everything out.

So has anyone bought anti-freeze yet? Are you just getting it from the dealer or is there a legit acceptable substitute?

I will probably do a flush/fill on my car even though it only has 30,000 miles. I've never been a huge fan of extended life coolant. Flushing it every couple of years is just a few bucks and is worth the peace of mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (10-03-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hye guys, thanks so much for the help. For now on,i am just paying for the legit dealership part and do it myself at home to cut the labor cost If any of the item were too costly then i will buy from other store.

Seems like the recommended way for u guys is just draining the coolant and flush it w distilled water isn't it? Sorry for being skeptical on simple thing like that

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what size allen key that plug is and does anyone know the part number of the gasket?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Does anyone know what size allen key that plug is and does anyone know the part number of the gasket?
    If my memory is right, you need a normal 6mm allen key, the sort you find in just about every 1/4 inch ratchet box.
    The gasket should be either a simple O-ring or an aluminium washer. I would put some Curil / Atmosit or any other stays-permanently-gooey type sealant on the thread of the bolt just to make sure.

Make 100% sure your choice of coolant is the correct stuff! If it just says "good for Mitsubishi" it is not good enough, because our cars have a different coolant than almost every other Mitsubishi model.
    Thoroughly flush out the old stuff before refilling with the correct concentration.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-29-2022),skyblue (01-14-2022)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If my memory is right, you need a normal 6mm allen key, the sort you find in just about every 1/4 inch ratchet box.
    The gasket should be either a simple O-ring or an aluminium washer. I would put some Curil / Atmosit or any other stays-permanently-gooey type sealant on the thread of the bolt just to make sure.

Make 100% sure your choice of coolant is the correct stuff! If it just says "good for Mitsubishi" it is not good enough, because our cars have a different coolant than almost every other Mitsubishi model.
    Thoroughly flush out the old stuff before refilling with the correct concentration.
    Thank you very very much, I've just been able to order a socket set because of you. It's an aluminium washer I'm pretty sure, I had a back and forth with the parts guy at my states head Mitsubishi and I mainly guessed what the part number was from a schematic he provided me. My guess is MF660034 but I'm not 100% sure on it. When I asked for 01399Q I was provided with MF660034 so, we will see.

Name:  thumbnail_image008.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  90.4 KB

Last edited by skyblue; 01-14-2022 at 09:06 AM.