Thread: Ceramic Clutches Available!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ceramic Clutches Available!

Hey all, I've been in the works on putting together some of the necessary items one would need to go high performance or boosted. The first thing I wanted to focus on was the clutch because the stock clutch is pretty awful and mine had a bit of slipping even prior to going boosted and was totally useless on boost.

The same ceramic 8 puck performance clutch that I'm using is now available for purchase. These are hand built made to order clutches that we know can hold at least 190lb-ft of torque. Right now I have the ability to make 8 units, after that would be about a 90 day period for more to ship. Since these are individually made they take (aprox) 2-3 weeks to ship, sooner if they need to be expedited.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtGearTv For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-24-2021),dragon2knight (08-24-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Good to hear!

On mine the clutch is slipping a bit, almost not noticeable, and yet has almost no actual wear of the plate. This was verified by endoscope.
    The problem comes from the extremely light pressure being applied to the plate when the clutch is engaged. That is how the OEM clutch is made, the pressure plate is too weak, not to talk about the notoriously weak springs in the center of the clutch plate. There are plenty of threads about that.
    How do I notice it is slipping? When I drive up a very long and very steep hill, being about 4km long at almost 20% inclination, the overheated clutch smells due to the heat generated while slipping. It does not slip or smell in normal situations. Other than that the car drives fine, and yes, the clutch cable has sufficient play.

What can be done about it?
    I will have to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate before it gets worse and the flywheel suffers.
    When I replace the the clutch assembly, I shall definitely get the replacement from the manufacturer LUK, because they make the probably best in the world.
    LUK part number is: 619 3191 00

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Good to hear!

On mine the clutch is slipping a bit, almost not noticeable, and yet has almost no actual wear of the plate. This was verified by endoscope.
    The problem comes from the extremely light pressure being applied to the plate when the clutch is engaged. That is how the OEM clutch is made, the pressure plate is too weak, not to talk about the notoriously weak springs in the center of the clutch plate. There are plenty of threads about that.
    How do I notice it is slipping? When I drive up a very long and very steep hill, being about 4km long at almost 20% inclination, the overheated clutch smells due to the heat generated while slipping. It does not slip or smell in normal situations. Other than that the car drives fine, and yes, the clutch cable has sufficient play.
    I experienced the same issue as you and also went in search for a replacement clutch and all other options were the same weak clones of the original. The pressure plate on ours has approx 25% more clamping force and the ceramic being excellent high friction and life. The clutch pedal doesn’t feel any different with the stronger springs, I think because they were so weak to begin with and there is absolutly no slipping on ours ��

The engagement window happens a little quicker but you get used to it very quickly. Other than a quicker lockup you don’t notice a difference in drivability.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtGearTv For This Useful Post:

foama (08-24-2021),Top_Fuel (08-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Posting link below so people can understand the potential issues with the stock clutch...

Mirage Clutch (analysis & weaknesses with pics)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)