Thread: Oil Change and I Broke plastic rivet fasteners

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Change and I Broke plastic rivet fasteners

I did my first oil change today and I broke 2 of the plastic rivet fastners that clip the plastic panel under the car in order to access the oil filter.

Does anyone know the size? I would prefer to order online instead of paying top price at the local auto parts store.

I did not have instructions on how to remove them without breaking. I used a flat head screwdriver and broke 2 before I figured out how they come off.

4 years of college education and I never was taught how to remove these kind of plastic rivets

The oil change took 2 hours also. What a nightmare it was to get that damn oil filter off, it must have been tightened by Charles Atlas at the factory. Took me 20 minutes just to find where the oil filter was located. And 30 mosquitos swarmed and bit my legs during the entire oil change.

Update: The size is 8mm fasteners

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008427D88

Also when I installed my dashcam and pulled the plastic trim panel on the drivers side I also managed to break a fastener so its good to have a few extras of these laying around. Money well spent to buy them ahead of time so that you dont get price-gouged at your local AutoZone
    Last edited by fc321; 07-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)