Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change and I Broke plastic rivet fasteners

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Change and I Broke plastic rivet fasteners

I did my first oil change today and I broke 2 of the plastic rivet fastners that clip the plastic panel under the car in order to access the oil filter.

Does anyone know the size? I would prefer to order online instead of paying top price at the local auto parts store.

I did not have instructions on how to remove them without breaking. I used a flat head screwdriver and broke 2 before I figured out how they come off.

4 years of college education and I never was taught how to remove these kind of plastic rivets

The oil change took 2 hours also. What a nightmare it was to get that damn oil filter off, it must have been tightened by Charles Atlas at the factory. Took me 20 minutes just to find where the oil filter was located. And 30 mosquitos swarmed and bit my legs during the entire oil change.

Update: The size is 8mm fasteners

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008427D88

Also when I installed my dashcam and pulled the plastic trim panel on the drivers side I also managed to break a fastener so its good to have a few extras of these laying around. Money well spent to buy them ahead of time so that you dont get price-gouged at your local AutoZone

Last edited by fc321; 07-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your best off going too napa. Where i live they have a huge rack filled with the clips in bags for a few bucks, and The plastic is softer than The Ridgid brittle mitsu clips. (I replaced a few in my trunk area)

Below is a link that might help

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...nts-front-scat

I don't ever remove anything to do the oil change. Not sure why you had too but hopefully you get it sorted.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Ares (10-08-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    No need to remove any clips to change the oil filter!

The clips are easy to remove: The innermost part is pulled or wiggled out half an inch or so, and then you can pull it out easily with your finger tips. Afterwards carefully put it back in all the way and then depress the middle part with your finger. No force needed at all.

The oil filter can be changed very effortlessly from above if you use a filter cap size 65/14 (size 65mm with 14 sides). A cap costs about as much as the filter, and lasts for ever. You may want to look it up in Yee-Pay or whatever. See the FSM for details.
    Last edited by foama; 10-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Your best off going too napa. Where i live they have a huge rack filled with the clips in bags for a few bucks, and The plastic is softer than The Ridgid brittle mitsu clips. (I replaced a few in my trunk area)

Below is a link that might help

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...nts-front-scat

I don't ever remove anything to do the oil change. Not sure why you had too but hopefully you get it sorted.
    Thanks for that link.

I'm still trying to look for a replacement for my underbody plastic engine splash shield.
    Maybe you'll have better luck trying to find the part number?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That websites my only source for part numbers. If it was not on there hopefully another member will be able to help you out.

Edit; some parts are places they don't belong, so it's hard to track some stuff down but if you post a pic of what your after I'm sure someone will help
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 10-09-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the advice. The reason I like to remove the bottom panel is that i fear the oil that gushes out after the filter is removed will splash all over the bottom plastic if I dont take it off.

And stubborn me would rather fight the filter for an extra 10 minutes rather than shell out the cash for an oil filter "cap style" wrench.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-10-2017),Eggman (10-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    And stubborn me would rather fight the filter for an extra 10 minutes rather than shell out the cash for an oil filter "cap style" wrench.
    Ha! That sounds like me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Don't feel too bad. I pulled the plastic off the first couple cars I changed the oil on. You pretty much have to to get a good grip on the tiny factory filter if you don't have a filter socket. You should be able to get the filter off easier by hand next time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    That websites my only source for part numbers. If it was not on there hopefully another member will be able to help you out.

Edit; some parts are places they don't belong, so it's hard to track some stuff down but if you post a pic of what your after I'm sure someone will help
    It's just the underbody engine cover. I'm pretty good at searching the web - thus I graduated with a Bachelor's degree. But for whatever reason, it seems impossible to find.

I mean websites like the one below has them for the old mirage... How hard is it to stock the ones for our model...

https://www.go-parts.com/mitsubishi-...sh-shield.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    It's just the underbody engine cover.
    This?

Lower Shield - Mitsubishi (5370B175)

List Price: $165.38
    You Save: $39.69 (24% off)
    Sale Price: $125.69

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)