Thread: Mirage RF Edition Audio Settings

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage RF Edition Audio Settings

Had a chance to play around a bit with the tone controls in my RF. (On a side note the Bluetooth audio has been working brilliantly, with auto-connects in less than 15 seconds upon starting the car).

Start by setting all tone controls to the "0" position. Going MAX on bass/treble will result in over-processed sound.

My favorite settings, after experimenting and doing some tweaking, is as follows:

BASS +1 (0 is a bit too thin, +2 over-emphasized)
    TREBLE 0 (sounds great as it is in my opinion)
    BALANCE 0 (perfectly balanced)
    FADER -2 (notice how you turn it to -11 and there's not much sound output from the rear? As you work your way back to 0, notice how you get a bit more subwoofer response; but when you hit -1 the front speakers seem overloaded?)

What settings do you prefer?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anf2374 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's interesting. The RF edition uses the stock radio, and I've heard a few complaints from others saying it doesn't sound all that great. On the other hand, you like yours with the RF amp & speakers.

I used to care about the radio in my car, but not so much anymore. Often times I don't turn it on, much less tweak it's settings.

That being said, aside from pairing my phone and setting radio station buttons, I haven't fiddled with it's other settings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's interesting. The RF edition uses the stock radio, and I've heard a few complaints from others saying it doesn't sound all that great. On the other hand, you like yours with the RF amp & speakers.

I used to care about the radio in my car, but not so much anymore. Often times I don't turn it on, much less tweak it's settings.

That being said, aside from pairing my phone and setting radio station buttons, I haven't fiddled with it's other settings.

I'm pretty much the same way. I rarely turn mine on, maybe once a month

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Local radio isn't that great (especially considering reception issues while traveling moderate distances), CD's have certainly gone by the wayside, and XM isn't offered (if it was we'd use it for the 3-month trial and never pay another cent). So I use iHeart radio. What's nice is that it picks up right where you left off and the system reconnects Bluetooth devices automatically. Now you can listen to custom radio stations (like Pandora), plus many live radio stations, all in crystal clear audio quality. With many cellular providers, the data you use for radio isn't counted against your data allotment, so it is unlimited, and free. Need to use navigation on your next trip? That works flawlessly as well, quieting the music as you hear driving instructions.

The Rockford Fosgate setup sounds great. I haven't any idea how the standard system sounds, but I'm imagining it's nowhere near as punchy. Definitely worth the upgrade, especially if you like to listen to music with better quality. The 2017 models have it as an $575 option. It's custom built specifically for the Mirage, and doesn't drain the battery like many other systems.

If you had a custom system put in, you're guaranteed to have a heavier subwoofer, bigger amp that's requires capacitors, wiring that doesn't meet factory specifications, etc. You end up with worse fuel economy (due to the weight), and excessive battery drain (from the amp). Rockford Fosgate solved both of these problems with their unique design expertise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anf2374 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-08-2016),inuvik (04-08-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    The new Mirage first comes to Denmark in September.. so I don't know how it sounds, but I think it's possible to make something like the setup without hurting the mpg to much without the need of a bigger battery.

If you need something good, there are companys/shops out there are able to build something nice and not cheap for you

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anf2374 View Post
    Had a chance to play around a bit with the tone controls in my RF. (On a side note the Bluetooth audio has been working brilliantly, with auto-connects in less than 15 seconds upon starting the car).

Start by setting all tone controls to the "0" position. Going MAX on bass/treble will result in over-processed sound.

My favorite settings, after experimenting and doing some tweaking, is as follows:

BASS +1 (0 is a bit too thin, +2 over-emphasized)
    TREBLE 0 (sounds great as it is in my opinion)
    BALANCE 0 (perfectly balanced)
    FADER -2 (notice how you turn it to -11 and there's not much sound output from the rear? As you work your way back to 0, notice how you get a bit more subwoofer response; but when you hit -1 the front speakers seem overloaded?)

What settings do you prefer?
    I have a Mirage RF and i completely agree with you. I love the fast Bluetooth connection to my phone. My settings are almost the same except for TREBLE which i like it at +1. If the FADER is kept at zero the vocals dim out and i found it perfect at -2.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I used to care about the radio in my car, but not so much anymore...
    I used to put decent aftermarket systems in all my cars, but stopped with my last car. All I had to do was upgrade the factory speakers and it sounded fine to my aging ears. But I'm not sure it's going to be that easy with the Mirage. The factory (non-RF) setup is pretty underwhelming. I'm still trying to decide if I can live with it.

I would have ponied up another $500 for an RF option like on the 2017s. I'm just waiting for one of you guys to figure out how easy it is to retrofit the RF stuff into our cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Old post but figured I'd share.
    Just got the RF installed in my GT, and I currently have treble -10, mid-range 0, bass +10, fade -2.
    I've also updated the door speakers to some Rockford Fosgate speakers, because the stock paper ones were garbage.