Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage stolen & recovered!

As luck would have it, guess who I just ran into?

She left the key in it. (Over night.)

And in the middle of the night, someone was prowling the apartment parking lot, looking to see what they could take from unlocked cars. Bingo! A whole car.

Funny thing about the manual trans: one of her neighbours heard a racket "like someone drag racing" on the road and looked out to see the Mirage making all kinds of noise but not proceeding very quickly down the road. Apparently it took the guy 5 or 10 minutes to manage to drive it out of sight of the building! Clearly didn't know how to drive stick, but knew enough to eventually get away. The neighbour thought (from all the noise and the way it wasn't progressing) that there was something wrong with the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you run into her again sounds like a clutch adjustment and fluid change in the transmission might be wise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That thief was lucky enough to know he needed to step on the clutch in order to start the car and lucky enough that he could find first gear. I can just imagine him going down the road in first or second gear. No wonder it sounded like drag racing. Oh, my, my, my, driving a manual is a lost art.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    driving a manual is a lost art.
    It's usually a theft deterrent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (04-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you ask why she would leave her keys in the car? I'd never do that

I'd be willing to bet it was an accident? I've left mine hanging in the door lock overnight once and try not to make it a habit anymore.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

She didn't explicitly say she did it regularly, but I got the impression she might have been in the habit of leaving the key in the console.

This is a bad habit you could probably get away with around here -- the crime rate is low. Coincidentally, just yesterday I walked by an older pickup parked with the key in the ignition.

Fummins: I've done the same thing! I have also forgotten the key in the ignition of my crappy Miata too.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If you run into her again sounds like a clutch adjustment and fluid change in the transmission might be wise.
    She said the insurance company was taking her Mirage to a shop "to check the engine and transmission" this week. She wasn't supposed to take the car on the highway until the appointment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I was a kid and living out in the sticks, my family always left the keys in the car. Nowadays, I wouldn't do that ... not even out in the sticks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I don't leave the keys in my car, but I leave the car unlocked reguarly.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I often leave mine unlocked too, because there's rarely anything worth taking inside.

Once in Vancouver, someone smashed my side window for a couple of bucks worth of parking change. Not worth the hassle of replacing the glass!

Convertible: always unlocked! My aunt (Ottawa) had her convertible top knifed, and there was nothing worth stealing inside.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-24-2017)