Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better Brakes? (mountain driving)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally, I would do small minor updates first and see how you do.
    A few of these would include braided brake lines and some way to route fresh air to the brakes.

I've seen other vehicles that have aftermarket BBKs that still fail on the track without the above mods.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I might open up the block off on the grill opposite side of the radiator and run ducking from there to the wheels and use drilled and slotted rotors if still needed but it's been around 0-10 degrees for the last two weeks so probably just going to deal with it a while longer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    braided brake lines
    I think this is a good suggestion and a good place to start. I don't use braided brake lines but I've heard good things about them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to check into them. I'm just disappointed with the overall breaking. It doesn't stop very well on steep hills to begin with so I don't want to use drilled and/or slotted rotors because they reduce overall contact area but the cooling is definitely a major issue. With the cold weather it's not as bad though. I've mostly started taking a longer route to avoid the steepest hills but when I get a break in the weather I'll mess around with the ducting. Should be easy with all the available space between the bumper and in the wheel wells.

Any recommendations for material? I'm thinking a large air box from a truck or SUV would fit well without much modification and as far as the plumbing I might use old pool cleaner hoses. I think the 90's jeeps air boxes would be a close fit. Just a rectangular box with an offset 4" or so hole in the back.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Joe Z I have a couple questions for you:
    1. What speeds are you experiencing your braking problems and
    2. Have you noticed any difference in performance in colder winter temperatures?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not as bad in the winter but 25-35mph is we're I have a lot of problems. There are a lot of long winding steep grades were I live and there's not much avoiding it except for the highway where I don't need to brake as much. It's difficult to stop in general downhill but they smoke up bad if I don't ride out a 2nd high in the rpms.