Thread: CVT Cooler

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

CVT Cooler

Since our beloved Jatco CVT unit doesn't have any outlet for cooling the fluid beside the stupid small cooling core,... I found that this CVT unit was also used by Nissan vehicles (Juke, Livina series, March CVT, etc), after browsing the Nissan owners forum, they seems to swap it using 4 outlet version of cooling core.

Found this website : Link

Might be intrested to swap the core and install ATF Cooler for durability.

2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Maybe I misunderstand, but why add cooling capacity when the CVT is heated from the engine? By all appearances it is to operate at the same temperature as the engine by design due to the built-in heat exchanger.

I understand this CVT design is different from conventional planetary-gear automatic transmissions due to this built-in heater.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found this after a brief search. I doubt it is for the same model CVT as what's used in the Mirage, but the information might still apply.

nissantechnicianinfo.mobi: CVT Oil Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by nissantechnicianinfo.mobi
    CVT Oil Warmer

An engine that combusts fuel internally finishes warming up comparatively quickly, but a transmission warms with friction heat from driving as its main heat source and takes more time to warm up. When the engine is started while it and the CVT are cold, engine coolant temperature rises more quickly than CVT fluid temperature.

Oil is essential for the proper function of a CVT. A shared feature of all types of oil and fats is that oil viscosity is higher at low temperatures, such as during an engine cold-start. If oil viscosity is high, the engine cannot run smoothly, which places a strain on the engine.

The CVT oil warmer utilizes engine coolant and quickly increases the temperature of the CVT oil until it reaches an appropriate temperature.

The CVT oil warmer is installed on the front part of the CVT transaxle assembly. The CVT oil warmer is provided with two circuits for the CVT and engine coolant respectively so that warmed engine coolant warms the CVT quickly. As a result, it helps reduce the time that the oil is at a low temperature, thus reducing the burden on the engine, which is particularly helpful in colder regions or for short drives. This helps shorten the CVT warming-up time, improving fuel economy.
    Maybe it is for the Jatco CVT7. It looks like it is the same four-port heat exchanger of your original post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    For tropical area, we need more cooling. Only need 40k to make the fluid dark brown.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    I have 2018 CVT model and this diagram is not same as it is on car. Warm water coming from top of water cooler, side by side of engine water output hose. When eng temp is 50 then hot water coming from top of water cooler through something like external thermostat on pipe or one-way valve, than going in cvt's oil cooler. Output of oil cooler is connected on metal pipe on top of engine thermostat housing on engine block.
    I can say that this connection on original pic is little weird, it is connected on top and bottom of water cooler. Where is pump, direction, circulation? It is possible to cool without pump, hot is going on top.... but its terrible efficiency.

I got mirage add-on for CVTz50 but it cannot connect, I cant say about cvt temp, but I think its so bad that it can't warm up cvt oil with water, fast as engine.

Does anyone have pdf for 2018 model?

Name:  Screenshot_14344.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  58.2 KBName:  Screenshot_14344 - Kopie.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  60.9 KB
    Last edited by Rockabilly Manta; 04-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly Manta View Post
    I have 2018 CVT model and this diagram is not same as it is on car. Warm water coming from top of water cooler, side by side of engine water output hose. When eng temp is 50 then hot water coming from top of water cooler through something like external thermostat on pipe or one-way valve, than going in cvt's oil cooler. Output of oil cooler is connected on metal pipe on top of engine thermostat housing on engine block.
    I can say that this connection on original pic is little weird, it is connected on top and bottom of water cooler. Where is pump, direction, circulation? It is possible to cool without pump, hot is going on top.... but its terrible efficiency.
    Forgive me as I'm having a hard time understanding your situation.

I don't have experience with the Mirage/Space Star CVT as I drive a manual transmission version. However, it is my understanding that the heat exchanger in the CVT helps to moderate it's internal temperatures similar to the engine. In other words, I thought the CVT was supposed to run as hot as the engine by design.

I got mirage add-on for CVTz50 but it cannot connect, I cant say about cvt temp, but I think its so bad that it can't warm up cvt oil with water, fast as engine.
    I think you are the first here to use CVTz50. You might want to bring up your question with whoever provided that software. Let us know what you find.

Does anyone have pdf for 2018 model?
    The only readily available version of the service manual has been for the 2015 model year. We have not yet seen the 2018 model year service manual.

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    That is from 2015 manual, so I guess they made difference for 2017+ models.
    I was wondering how big is difference in temperatures between engine water and gearbox oil.
    If someone can measure temp of CVT oil when engine is on 70C/160F, starting from ~10'C/50F, that would be great!!
    I want to know how long it takes to ~40C/100F.

Kocmuk told me for CVTz50 app. As he says, you can ask developer for unpublished add-on for Mirage. It does not work for me, maybe obd2 is too bad. Name:  image004.png
Views: 2179
Size:  19.1 KB

Sweet infos about Torq conv lock-up status, ratio, temp....
    Last edited by Rockabilly Manta; 04-08-2019 at 05:22 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockabilly Manta For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-08-2019),inuvik (04-08-2019)

Well for starters, this is a Mitsubishi forum not Nissan. Secondly, your friend sounds a bit clueless.
    I don't know what the setup on a Juke looks like, for all I know you have a manual transmission. Regardless, I highly doubt you have a transmission temp gauge on your vehicle. You probably have an engine temp gauge though, in that case see if you have any coolant in it for starters. Maybe skim through the owners manual or find one on the googles.
    Nissans aren't known to be well made in my opinion for the last 20 years.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)