Thread: CVT Cooler

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks

CVT Cooler

Since our beloved Jatco CVT unit doesn't have any outlet for cooling the fluid beside the stupid small cooling core,... I found that this CVT unit was also used by Nissan vehicles (Juke, Livina series, March CVT, etc), after browsing the Nissan owners forum, they seems to swap it using 4 outlet version of cooling core.

Found this website : Link

Might be intrested to swap the core and install ATF Cooler for durability.

2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Suzuki Raider 150R Black SE
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2014 Ford Ecosport Titanium PowerShift 6-speed PB
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I misunderstand, but why add cooling capacity when the CVT is heated from the engine? By all appearances it is to operate at the same temperature as the engine by design due to the built-in heat exchanger.

I understand this CVT design is different from conventional planetary-gear automatic transmissions due to this built-in heater.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found this after a brief search. I doubt it is for the same model CVT as what's used in the Mirage, but the information might still apply.

nissantechnicianinfo.mobi: CVT Oil Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by nissantechnicianinfo.mobi
    CVT Oil Warmer

An engine that combusts fuel internally finishes warming up comparatively quickly, but a transmission warms with friction heat from driving as its main heat source and takes more time to warm up. When the engine is started while it and the CVT are cold, engine coolant temperature rises more quickly than CVT fluid temperature.

Oil is essential for the proper function of a CVT. A shared feature of all types of oil and fats is that oil viscosity is higher at low temperatures, such as during an engine cold-start. If oil viscosity is high, the engine cannot run smoothly, which places a strain on the engine.

The CVT oil warmer utilizes engine coolant and quickly increases the temperature of the CVT oil until it reaches an appropriate temperature.

The CVT oil warmer is installed on the front part of the CVT transaxle assembly. The CVT oil warmer is provided with two circuits for the CVT and engine coolant respectively so that warmed engine coolant warms the CVT quickly. As a result, it helps reduce the time that the oil is at a low temperature, thus reducing the burden on the engine, which is particularly helpful in colder regions or for short drives. This helps shorten the CVT warming-up time, improving fuel economy.
    Maybe it is for the Jatco CVT7. It looks like it is the same four-port heat exchanger of your original post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    For tropical area, we need more cooling. Only need 40k to make the fluid dark brown.

2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Suzuki Raider 150R Black SE
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2014 Ford Ecosport Titanium PowerShift 6-speed PB
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)