Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mitsu's goal: boost US sales by 30% -- no rebadged Nissans in the near future

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hey, Mitsubishi. I know you are reading this.

Sell me a 1.1L Turbo Mirage in 2019. Oh, with a sunroof. And bring back the Raider or Mighty Max. Make...it....small. Not everyone who wants a pickup wants to drive around in a 7,500 pound monstrosity. Even the Tacoma is now too big.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-24-2017),Fummins (11-08-2017),tomrad (11-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not everyone who wants a pickup wants to drive around in a 7,500 pound monstrosity.
    I agree.

Problem is, the monstrosities are profitable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wonder too.

They'll definitely release a new Mirage in the next year or 2 for developing markets, particularly southeast Asia, because it sells very well.

The Mirage was a big contributor to the growth the company experienced in the last few years in the U.S. & Canada. Even though it may only have been originally seen as a stop-gap while the company updates its model line (ie: makes more SUV's & crossovers).

But Mirage's US sales have increased every year it's been available. So I hope they'll bring the 7th gen model over. Considering Mirage owners have the highest model loyalty in its class, they'd be silly not to.
    Interesting. I didn't know about the owner loyalty of this car. Cool.

Unfortunately, Mitsubishi, like other companies, make very little profit on the Mirage (especially at the bargain basement prices you can find them for). But hopefully Mitsubishi continues on with the subcompact market. Keep in mind, this was the first b-segment car Mitsu had offered in North America since the 1990s.

And it was never really intended to be sold in North America. It's only here becaue the dealers were desperate for new product to sell, and it was available.

Good point on profit, though. Corporate may not make much on each, but I bet the dealers are happy to have Mirage customers in the showroom and in the service department.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And it was never really intended to be sold in North America. It's only here becaue the dealers were desperate for new product to sell, and it was available.

Good point on profit, though. Corporate may not make much on each, but I bet the dealers are happy to have Mirage customers in the showroom and in the service department.
    It had to go through a massive battery of tests and rules to be sold here so I'm sure it was planned. Getting a car on the streets of the U.S. is a huge undertaking.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep you are right. It was never intended to be sold here as it was made to be a third world market car and one of the reasons the reviewers are such haters of it. You can tell it is different than other subcompacts and that is what makes it special! I loved my 2015 Mirage ES CVT with Nav and Back Up Camera and I love my 2017 Mirage G4 SE CVT. I love that they added heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirror with home link, rear seat arm rest with cup holders in the G4 and apple car play. The G4 works as a nice little family car. Name:  670F11E6-6F75-49B2-B1DF-0829CF1D2346.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  96.6 KB

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  05225248-4C42-410C-A372-9209E59F46DE.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  88.5 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    And bring back the Raider or Mighty Max. Make...it....small. Not everyone who wants a pickup wants to drive around in a 7,500 pound monstrosity. Even the Tacoma is now too big.
    I agree, nobody makes a small 4 cylinder truck anymore. I'm guessing the last one must have been the ranger? Canyon's, dakotas, are all big. At work we replaced a lot of b2200's with the mirage but they car can't haul everything. We ended up having to go with 4cylinder cargo vans.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I agree, nobody makes a small 4 cylinder truck anymore. I'm guessing the last one must have been the ranger? Canyon's, dakotas, are all big. At work we replaced a lot of b2200's with the mirage but they car can't haul everything. We ended up having to go with 4cylinder cargo vans.
    I love Raiders/Monteros. I'd own a 4D56-powered Raider in a heartbeat.

While I currently have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee (not exactly a hulking truck), my last off-roader was a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, aka "The Teal Terror." It was a great size and good on fuel for what it is. We took that thing all over the west. All the way up to Vancouver Island, B.C. down to Arizona, over to Colorado, etc. I WISH another company would come out with a smallish 4x4 again.

Name:  OVERLANDEXPO-WEST-LEAD.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  97.5 KB