Resonant chamber detail photos

Assembly top view

Assembly bottom view

Intake snorkel and resonant chamber disassembled

Resonant chamber upper half internal structure detail

Resonant chamber lower half internal structure detail

More photos! Warm Air Intake - heat exchangers

Some notes:
    1. The two tops were difficult to separate from the base because each had four pins that appeared to have been deformed (melted?) to keep things together. I'm confident the remaining claws will hold the assembly together, though there may be some rattling.
    2. The intake snorkel has some foamy tape applied. I suppose this is to make for a tighter fitment, probably to address rattling.
    3. When fitted, the resonant cavity connecting tube protrudes inside the air filter box.
    4. The two upper halves are not exactly sealed to the base. Once I broke the little melted rivet thingys, the tops separated pretty easy. They also went back together pretty easy. Though they are not sealed, you can tell by the amount of dust outside that it didn't really get inside.

Let me know if you have any questions, if I missed something, or if there's anything else you'd like to see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-31-2017),Daox (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pictures of the cable please! Are you still using the burrito?
    I sold the car, and the burrito went with it. As for the cable, I used aluminum tape to attach it to the end of the duct that was resting on the exhaust. The other end I looped and bolted together. The cable ran along the duct work to the strut bolts on the passenger side. When temps got too hot, I pulled the cable to lift the end off of the exhaust manifold shield, and put the looped end of the cable on a strut bolt that is further away from the exhaust. Simple, but I had to get out and lift the hood to do it.

I sure miss that car, by the way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

Further reading

I found some Wikipedia pages describing various aspects of this.

Warm air intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A warm air intake or WAI is a system to decrease the amount of the air going into a car for the purpose of increasing the fuel economy of the internal-combustion engine.
    Heated air inlet
    A heated air inlet or warm air intake is a system commonly used on the original air cleaner assemblies of carburetted engines to increase the temperature of the air going into the engine for the purpose of increasing the consistency of mixing of the air and fuel in order to reduce engine emissions and fuel usage.
    Carburetor heat
    Carburetor, carburettor, carburator, carburettor heat (usually abbreviated to 'carb heat') is a system used in automobile and piston-powered light aircraft engines to prevent or clear carburetor icing. It consists of a moveable flap which draws hot air into the engine intake. The air is drawn from the heat stove, a metal plate around the (very hot) exhaust manifold.
    The idea of a warm air intake is not new, just not typically used to improve fuel economy. It makes me wonder why manufacturers are not using it more?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The idea of a warm air intake is not new, just not typically used to improve fuel economy. It makes me wonder why manufacturers are not using it more?
    Because consumers want power so manufacturers use any other method possible to gain economy as this particular method reduces peak power somewhat?

Remembering back to the old heat off exhaust manifold systems they were incredibly simple.. Just a short metalized cardboard tube from intake snorkel to. Manifold shield with vacuum actuator to open/close a butterfly valve.
    The '17 and up Mirage would be an easy candidate for this as the catalytic converter is right below exhaust manifold, with plenty of heat to offer very soon after start up and a shield to tap into is already there.
    A stand alone circuit with temp sensor, electric actuator and butterfly valve could be added for better control of intake temps without tapping into the car's system as well.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 10-30-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any progress on this Eggman?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I have been playing with a warm air intake for the last week. I'm not into the intercooler portion. Before I do anything that involved, I want to run my own tests to make sure that a warm air intake will actually translate into noticeable mpg gains.

So far I have removed the complete intake silencer assembly...

Name:  silencer.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  57.8 KB

When you do this you are left with the oval opening for the intake and a round 1 1/8" hole for the intake resonator. I used some foil tape (the kind used for sealing duct work) and completely covered the round intake resonator hole.

Then I spent a few dollars on a length of flexible aluminum duct...

Name:  duct.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  35.6 KB

I took a length of this (about 18 inches) and bent it so that it connects to the oval intake portion of the air box...and the other end is just resting on the exhaust manifold. I'll try to get a pic of this. It's not pretty but it's working.

At the same time I am experimenting with blocking my grill opening using lengths of pipe insulation...

Name:  pipe_insulation.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  28.9 KB

This stuff works well because you can wedge it in between the rows of your grill and it will stay put. It will also allow you to play with the amount of radiator you want to keep exposed.

NOTE: I wouldn't consider blocking any portion of your grill unless you have a Scangauge or other way to monitor your coolant temps.

Preliminary Results

Warm Air Intake with no grill block and 45 degree outside temps: IAT 20 degrees above ambient
    Warm Air Intake with 75% grill block and 45 degree outside temps: IAT 40-50 degrees above ambient
    Warm Air Intake with 90% grill block and 45 degree outside temps: IAT 50-70 degrees above ambient

I have blocked my grill up to 90% in testing...but man you need to be careful with this unless the ouside tems are really cold! I saw coolant temps of 220 doing this while climbing extended grades on the freeway at 60 mph when the outside temp was 40 degrees. I've never seen my car run that hot in any conditions. With the grill blocked this much, you can easily get your intake air temp up even further.

So right now I have substantially increased my intake air temperature with about $10 in materials. I will have to drive it this way to make a determination on any real world mpg difference.

I am working on a way to leave the stock air silencer in place, but bring in hot air from the back side of the air box. The back of the air box has almost a straight shot to the exhaust manifold...where all of the hot air in the engine compartment is. I'm trying to come up with a way to do this while making it easily reversible for summer.

I would like to maintain a "stock" underhood appearance while utilizing some of these warm air intake tricks. I don't want my engine compartment looking like it belongs in a Mythbusters episode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-15-2017),fifteenwindow (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    NOTE: I wouldn't consider blocking any portion of your grill unless you have a Scangauge or other way to monitor your coolant temps.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I am working on a way to leave the stock air silencer in place, but bring in hot air from the back side of the air box. The back of the air box has almost a straight shot to the exhaust manifold...where all of the hot air in the engine compartment is. I'm trying to come up with a way to do this while making it easily reversible for summer.

I would like to maintain a "stock" underhood appearance while utilizing some of these warm air intake tricks. I don't want my engine compartment looking like it belongs in a Mythbusters episode.
    Me too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Me too.
    LOL...we are thinking along the same lines. I have something similar in mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Any progress on this Eggman?
    Nope! I'm scared of coolant getting in my intake.
    AND the stupid heat exchanger I found on Amazon is no longer available. So I'm thinking of alternatives... There's power steering coolers, similar to what you posted way back but I think they will be too long for our little box.

Amazon: Hayden Automotive 1009 Power Steering Oil Cooler

Measurements reported are vague - are the dimensions overall or just the fins?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top fuel have you thought about possibly getting one of these (link below) and running It off your cooling fan and just make a little cardboard slide for your grill?

I have 5 of these exact actuators (1 installed in my mirage...) and they work great. They aren't very strong but they're 2way (push or pull) and have enough juice too open the mirage door

https://m.banggood.com/12V-Car-Auto-...r-p-85192.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-16-2017)