Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraping noise coming from front brakes

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Scraping noise coming from front brakes

After having my tires rotated I started noticing a scraping sound when I apply the brakes coming from the front. I can only hear the grinding or rubbing sound when I am going very slowly l, like driving at parking lot speeds and applying the brakes on the last 10 feet when approaching a stop sign. When I'm driving at higher speeds and I apply the brakes or even slamming on the brakes from high speeds and coming to a stop, it will not make the noise , it will only make it at lower speeds exactly as I described it. 2015 Mirage with 38k mi and had the front brake pads replaced 15k mi ago. And there is no wobbling in the steering wheel or shaking when I brake either. What could be the issue?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    How do the pads look?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    the same here, but I thought it was the rear ones

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    After having my tires rotated I started noticing a scraping sound when I apply the brakes coming from the front.
    Since this just started after having the tires rotated, I'm wondering if someone accidentally bent a dust shield on one of your front brakes. Behind both front rotors (just a few mm from the rotor surface) is a thin sheet-metal shield. If you bump one of these, it can easily be bent and touch the rotor...causing a scraping noise that you will only notice when the car is going slow in a parking lot where the sound can bounce off of a building or other cars.

Normally applying the brakes wouldn't affect the dust shield, but anything is possible. Here's a video showing it on another car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-25-2017),Marklovski (10-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This happened on my sister-in-law's new Hyundai years ago, and it turned out to be a rock caught between the caliper and rotor.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I called the shop that put in the new pads and he said that it's probably just normal noise but they will check it out. They are still under warranty, which is good. I've got an appointment next week and will update later!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    After having my tires rotated I started noticing a scraping sound when I apply the brakes coming from the front. I can only hear the grinding or rubbing sound when I am going very slowly l, like driving at parking lot speeds and applying the brakes on the last 10 feet when approaching a stop sign. When I'm driving at higher speeds and I apply the brakes or even slamming on the brakes from high speeds and coming to a stop, it will not make the noise , it will only make it at lower speeds exactly as I described it. 2015 Mirage with 38k mi and had the front brake pads replaced 15k mi ago. And there is no wobbling in the steering wheel or shaking when I brake either. What could be the issue?
    So quick update....went back to the shop that did the brakes and had them checked out. They said everything was normal and the pads had over 50% life left. If course it the scraping noise could not be heard when they drove it ��. It continues to make the noise from time to time. If I have some free time soon, I might just go to another shop. I was also told that some noise from the pads are normal because of all the different materials used to construct them.

I noticed on a few cars that the wear indicators start scrapping well before the pads need to be replaced. Might be the case for you? I also ran into a car that made noise that might be similar to yours. Everything was in good shape, I pulled the pads and rotors off a few times and cleaned everything up. Still made the noise. Spraying brake quiet on the rotors and that kept it quiet for a short time. I eventually just replaced both rotors and pads from a wrecked parts car and the noise went away.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is EXACTLY what my car is doing, only noisy at last few feet before stop. And it doesn't always make the noise.
    Thanks Fummins (and eco 1.2)! Puts my mind at ease for a few days until I get to work on it next weekend.
    (I have new front tires and pads but want to do the whole job the same day). The brakes feel great and the fluid level is nearly full so I would be surprised if they pad was worn to the backing plate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On our Wisconsin driven 2014, the rotors rust along the outer edge. The rust starts to flake, and rubs on the backing plate or dust shield. This makes a scraping noise, especially at slow speed turns. I jack up one front corner at a time and chip/pop the rust off the rotor with a flat blade screw driver. It’s easy work. Once around the rotor and it’s quiet again, for a long time. Done it once in 5.5 years of ownership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-30-2019)