Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core update

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Heater core update

Warning: The heater cores are faulty on these cars. They use crimp-on clamps that WILL eventually fail. Not even Mitsubishi tech servjce in Cali can figure it out. I've just had mine replaced for the 3rd time in 75k miles. I was advised to trade it before the warranty expired. Lucky I bought the bumper to bumper 100k mile platinum coverage warranty extension. I intend fully to trade before this coverage ends. No more Mitsus for me. And I really liked the car except for this one problem

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds about right. It's a super cheap car, thankfully this isn't a common issue as of yet with other owners I believe. Sorry for your troubles.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetjim View Post
    Warning: The heater cores are faulty on these cars. They use crimp-on clamps that WILL eventually fail. Not even Mitsubishi tech servjce in Cali can figure it out. I've just had mine replaced for the 3rd time in 75k miles. I was advised to trade it before the warranty expired. Lucky I bought the bumper to bumper 100k mile platinum coverage warranty extension. I intend fully to trade before this coverage ends. No more Mitsus for me. And I really liked the car except for this one problem
    Where are these clamps located, and why does clamp failure require the core to be replaced? I am not understanding.

Are you talking about the clamps on the heater hoses?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Where are these clamps located, and why does clamp failure require the core to be replaced? I am not understanding.

Are you talking about the clamps on the heater hoses?
    Where on the heater core does the failure occur?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetjim View Post
    Warning: The heater cores are faulty on these cars. They use crimp-on clamps that WILL eventually fail.
    Can you post any pictures of this problem? It would be helpful for the rest of us to see what's happening.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like a fairly uncommon problem on a fairly widely used design.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought there was someone on here that has a few mirages on his fleet and some over 100k miles...
    Dont think this is a recurring issue - especially seeing that this forums have been up for a few years and this is the first time we're hearing about this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here is a quote from another thread where someone mentioned repeated heater core failures. But the thread is short on details...

Update: I just had the heater core replaced for the 3rd! Time, and neither the dealer nor Mitsubishi has a clue why it keeps failing. This last time, they even had a video conference with the tech guys in California, and everyone is just dumbfounded. Off the record, the service manager said it was a bad design; crimp on vs ring clamps. I was also told to trade it before the warranty expired, because based on the service record of the car, the heater core will fail again in 10 to 12k miles. I guess I'll take their advice, but I won't be buying another Mitsubishi Mirage.

Source: Heater Core Replaced Under Warranty
    I'd be interested to know how a clamp failure is somehow causing a heater core failure?

I haven't looked, but it appears that the Mirage uses normal spring-loaded OEM type clamps on the heater core connections...

Name:  heater_hoses.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-30-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Here is a quote from another thread where someone mentioned repeated heater core failures. But the thread is short on details...
    Yeah, that's the same poster - sunsetjim.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Not sure where the failure is. The dealer said "at thr hose clamp." Mitsubishi said " hose improperly crimped" on one of thr 3 failure receipts. Another one read "hose crimp failure." The dealer mabager dud also mention that these hoses ( along with the crimp on ends ) come as a package or kit from Mitsubishi.