Thread: A/C sometimes doesn't kick in right away

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question A/C sometimes doesn't kick in right away

This has happened to me three times, and once to my wife. But it happened twice yesterday. We'll turn on the car and turn on the A/C, but no air comes out. You can hear what sounds like the compressor engaging, but no air comes out. Then, after driving for about 5 minutes, the air suddenly starts blowing through.

It's a 2015 DE with just over 50,000 miles on it. This is something that should be covered under warranty, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Putting my technician hat on for a second...

1. Has the AC been running for a period of time before this happens?
    2. Is the AC is in AUTO or manual mode when this happens?
    3. Does the blower always work? If you get in and turn on the fan for heat or vent...does it immediately come on?
    4. If you get in and turn on the defrost...does it immediately come on?

Yes...your car is still covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty. Oddly enough, AC refrigerant isn't covered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Putting my technician hat on for a second...

1. Has the AC been running for a period of time before this happens?
    2. Is the AC is in AUTO or manual mode when this happens?
    3. Does the blower always work? If you get in and turn on the fan for heat or vent...does it immediately come on?
    4. If you get in and turn on the defrost...does it immediately come on?

Yes...your car is still covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty. Oddly enough, AC refrigerant isn't covered.
    Thanks for you help!

1. It's always been after turning the car after the car has been off. The A/C hasn't ever cut out while driving. We typically turn the A/C off before turning the car off, and turn the A/C on right after turning the car on.
    2. Manual. We never use the AUTO feature.
    3. When this happens, it seems like it's the blower that isn't working. We can hear the compressor (or something that sounds like the compressor), but no air comes out of the vents.
    4. Yes, when it's working, the defroster immediately comes on. The defroster was not working yesterday when the A/C wasn't working (I turned on the defroster to see if it would get the A/C to engage, but nothing happened).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    ...When this happens, it seems like it's the blower that isn't working.
    Based on the way you are describing the scenario, it does sound like an issue related to the blower. The next time this happens, see if the blower will come on if you cycle the fan switch through all of the speeds on the dash control.

If you can easily duplicate the issue, then I'd take it to the dealer because it should be covered by the 5 year/60K warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I'm not understanding if your blower motor/heater motor/fan(in the heater box behind the glovebox) is working or not? You would hear it behind the glovebox. You might not be able to really hear the compressor running but you may be able to hear the clutch kick engage and the rad fan turn on under the hood.

I had a mirage come in once that had very little air flow, all they said was the heater doesn't work. They had so much junk in the glove box that it was overflowing and something fell out jamming one of the doors in the heaterbox.
    When you say the defroster, you are talking about the windshield defrost and not the rear defrost button right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-31-2017)