Thread: Replacement stock-type acorn lug nuts for alloy wheels...Dorman 611-141.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts

Replacement stock-type acorn lug nuts for alloy wheels...Dorman 611-141.

Shortly after I bought my Mirage in late 2014, I noticed that four of the lug nuts on one wheel had corroded and discolored. Mitsubishi replaced them under warranty, but over the last three years the rest of the lug nuts have done the same thing. The ones Mitsubishi replaced discolored as well. It looks REALLY bad, and makes the car look older and more 'used' than it is. So I decided to change them all.

Of course, no parts sites list the 'proper' lug nuts for the late model Mirages. If you can find one that lists the Mirage at all the lug nuts are the open-type for the steel wheels. I figured new ones sourced from Mitsubishi would have the same problem, so I wanted to try something aftermarket. Ones that simply work are easy enough to find but since they are exposed I wanted them to look right. I tried buying some at the auto parts stores and they all seemed to be too big or way too long. The type needed is the M12 x 1.5.

After some experimentation, measurements with a micrometer, and some research, I found that the Dorman 611-141 is a perfect replacement for the lug nuts that came on cars with the alloy wheels. The dimensions are identical, and they look great! Hopefully, they won't look like crap after three years!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-31-2017),Daox (11-01-2017),inuvik (10-31-2017),Mitz (11-01-2017),Top_Fuel (11-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great info! Thanks
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The lugs on my '14 Mirage did the same thing. Reported to dealer and the response they got from Mitsubishi was that this was strictly an appearance item so no warranty replacement after the 1st year of ownership. I told the dealership that this was a pretty cheap fix for Mitsubishi and that it was a really bad advertisement of their product as it makes the already cheap car look well, cheap.

Dealer agreed but had to abide by Mitsubishi's decision.

Fortunately, over time all the lugs have lost their chrome finish and have that dull "brushed look" finish.

I thanked them for their time and told them that it was a good thing that I had the 5 year roadside assistance as part of the warranty. If the wheels fall off the car, at least I can get it towed home.

This is the only "knit pick" I have had with my Mirage. It has been trouble free, except for a bad mic on the navigation unit. That was present when we picked the car up new and was fixed with a replacement head unit.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

Of course, no parts sites list the 'proper' lug nuts for the late model Mirages. If you can find one that lists the Mirage at all the lug nuts are the open-type for the steel wheels.

Nice find. I, on the other hand, intend to buy the open type Project Kics R26 because of its rotating taper seat design.

Name:  31948_Project Kics_32876N_seat.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  project_kics_r26_neochro_lugs.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  34.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's an interesting design. Looks expensive, too.

I wonder what problem these lug nuts are trying to solve? Also, I wonder how this design changes torque specifications and if there is any tendency to work loose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It won't scratch your wheel when you tighten it due to the floating seat design. It is expensive though compared to the ordinary steel ones.

http://www.mackin-ind.com/portfolio/r26-lug-nut/

https://www.amazon.com/Project-Kics-...ds=r26+lug+nut

About Project Kics
    Project Kics R26 / R40 Lug Nuts feature an unique seven-sided, heptagonal design that consists of 2 pieces, where the top of the lugs spin freely from the tapered centering ring. This ensures a much tighter and precise hold than traditional lug nuts. It also minimizes the chances of scratching your wheels.

http://passwordjdm.com/Project-Kics-C567.aspx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That's an interesting product I haven't seen before. I like the concept for expensive wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cobrajet, how did these lug nuts turn out now that time has passed?
    Last edited by R01k; 04-03-2019 at 10:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Cobrajet, how did these lug nuts turn out now that time has passed?
    They still look great, although I do not run them in the winter. When I switch to snow wheels I also switch to the old lug nuts since they will be behind stock hubcaps anyway.

These Dorman lug nuts seem to be of good quality, and I don't think they would corrode even if used in bad weather.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll pick up 16 of them at Napa this weekend. The stock ones are an eye sore by now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)